1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best/most important American rock band

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gator, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

stooges?

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Certainly among the most important, along with the MC5.

Though I don't know that anyone actually listened to the MC5...

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Beach Boys peak was short, but even your post acknowledges their place in history.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, absolutely. What Wilson was doing with melody and harmony stands right up with Lennon/McCartney until the Rubber Soul/Revolver episode of 1966.
    At that point the Beatles shifted into warp drive and The Beach Boys, after Pet Sounds, dropped out of the race.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Velvet Underground, Ramones, Stooges, and even the Pixies are all worth mentioning. Each was hugely influential, especially in specific sub-genres of Rock & Roll.

cyclingwriter2 and Michael_ Gee like this.
  6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I agree with every word of this except the last line. :)

As would Jim DeRogatis in this takedown of Sgt. Pepper: Idle worship

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My shuffle just popped up an obvious one, so obvious that if it's a DB I apologize and if it's not we should all be ashamed of ourselves -- the Shirelles.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The Michael Stipe unintelligible lyrics ended after their first or second album. Probably somewhere around 'Don't Go Back To Rockville'.

And to bring it back to Bob Seger, his vote is pretty much on record: "All of Chuck's children are out there playing his licks".

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Chuck and Elvis had great original bands on their early groundbreaking hits, but then they went on for most of their careers as solo stars backed by essentially anonymous backing groups.

Similarly, Buddy Holly ditched the Crickets about halfway through his 3-year career.

I suppose in those days the idea of keeping a group together a long, long time never really occurred to anybody.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was kind of surprised Springsteen wasn't on the list.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Chuck Berry, after a while, just told the promoters to have a band ready for him when he got to the venue.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  12. RARist

RARist Member

"The first Velvet Underground album sold only 10,000 copies, but everyone who bought it formed a band." - Brian Eno

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted