1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best MLB cap of all time?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This might sound weird, but I feel like the Brooklyn Dodgers cap loses a little bit of luster just because there's a professional franchise in Brooklyn again now. Brooklyn is back to being a Place to Be, and although it isn't the same borough it was in the '40s and '50s in its 1.0 heyday, the gentrification of the borough plus the arrival of the Nets diminishes, ever so slightly, Dodgers gear.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

For fun, a sporcle quiz featuring minor-league caps:

http://www.sporcle.com/games/RoaringElbow/milbhats

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Got 19 of 30

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If there is a Hat Hall of Fame, the Carolina Mudcats and Chattanooga Lookouts are in on the first ballot.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I got 21. Montgomery Biscuits remains my favorite MiLB cap. Winston-Salem Dash may have the worst. It looks like an angry penis.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I got a try-colour Montreal Expos batting helmet I bought for $4 back in the early 80s.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Granted I may be of feeble mind, but I am struggling to comprehend the connection between the look of the Brooklyn Dodgers cap and the arrival of an NBA franchise in Brooklyn. That's like saying New York was a great place for bagels, but not so much since the arrival of egg mcmuffins.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not the look, but what the look represents, which was always a long-gone time when Brooklyn was an important enough place to have its own team. Now that it has its own team again, it's not such a novelty that it once had one.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't want to kill any trend that involves women wearing baseball caps.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Mmmm, scrambled eggs...

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Oh, and I'm partial to this from New York Lincoln Giants (Negro League):

[​IMG]

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Nets playing there or not, it's still the cap of Jackie Robinson and the '55 world champs. There's a lot of history in it. If I were the Nets owner (whose name I don't feel like looking up and then double and triple checking the spelling of) I would make Magic Johnson a sweetheart offer for the rights to that logo just to put it on the shorts or at center court.

As for the topic at hand
    The olde English D would be my pick (the home cap, never was too fond of the many iterations of the road cap including the one with the lurking Tiger they had in the mid-90s)
    Also good:
    the Mets cap because I like what they did there, using the old Giants logo on a Dodger blue background.
    The Nats alternate with the DC logo that they rarely use
    The Blue Jays road hat from the championship years with the blue background

Draft saved Draft deleted