1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best mid-major hoops coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 17, 2007.

1. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I call bullshit ... coaches never listen to the radio or read papers. They have told me many times.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

IGQ is right ... have to wait a few seasons on Brad Stevens since he's winning with Lickliter's guys.

He has the same "Butler Way" system in place, so he shouldn't fuck it up when he brings in his own recruits ... unlike the protege of oxen ball, Rob Jeter. :mad:

3. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

Jim Christian from Kent State. Has continued on the tradition of 20-win seasons (nine straight) after Waters and Stan Heath left.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Ronny Thompson!

Oh wait ...

5. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Grant is already blipping along on those proverbial radars. If I recall correctly, he was in line to replace Billy Donovan at Florida until Donovan opted to back out of his agreement with Orlando.

Regardless, Grant deserves to be on this list ... for the rest of this season, at least. He might not qualify next season.

6. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

I will argue that this tune will not be sung by the end of this season.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Billy Gillis...oh, wait. Kentucky isn't a mid-major college. But with this team, you really cannot tell the difference.

8. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Yes, Brad Stevens. My bad.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If I was an SEC or ACC school with an opening, I would only make one call.

Grant is the real deal. I watched every second of the CAA Tournmey last year, and Grant impressed the heck out of me.

He coached Jim Larranaga off the court in the final.

Also, Jim Larranaga nearly blew the UConn game. Do you remember UConn sending that into OT because GM just folded for 30 seconds?

10. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Does Ralph Willard count, since he went to a major conference before kicking it Patriot League-style?

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Chris Mooney has turned Richmond into a mid-major, despite being in the A10.

12. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I agree with BigP on Baron, who has Rhody in great shape this year. The work to rebuild the program after Harrick and that schlub who followed him has been a long, tough road. This season could be a very strong one, but there have also been a number of frustrating seasons under Baron's watch. His teams often play a gritty style, but his coaching can leave you scratching your head at times. His fierce loyalty to very, very marginal players has hurt him in previous years.

While Baron will get some pub this year, I'd probably go with Phil Martelli from the A10. If he was mentioned earlier, my bad. I didn't see him yet. In 12+ years at St. Joseph's, he is 244-143 and has gone to the postseason six times in the last seven seasons, and eight times in 12 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted