1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best mid-major hoops coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 17, 2007.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

He flopped at Rutgers, but Gary Waters ain't too shabby at mid-majors. He built Kent State into something respectable and is now building up Cleveland State.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I'll agree on Scott Sutton. Thought he would move on after last season.

3. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

After a couple of seasons, Mark Stevens (Butler).

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Ben Braun used to be on this list, but he graduated off it when he took the Cal job. Good coach and good guy who always ran clean programs.

You still don't hear much about him even though his Cal teams are usually pretty good.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Speaking of rusty spork worthy. It's Bob McKillop. Grrrrr. He and his band of merry men from Team Geritol (I swear you have to be over 70 years old to attend a Davidson game) have been the bane of my basketball existence since the early 1990s. :mad:

Which basically means he's a hell of a coach.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Jim Boone thinks it's Jim Boone.

This always cracks me up.

http://www.coachjimboone.com/word-on-jim-boone/

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Anthony Grant at Virginia Commonwealth seems to be a good one, and I don't think he's riding the coat tails of Jeff Capel.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

A friend of mine has a Jim Larranaga bobble head. He's a fan.

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

He is running out of sons to play point, so you never know when things are going to go downwards for him.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Is Snake LeGrand still at UT-Arlington? :D

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Mark Few (if you don't consider Gonzaga a mid-major anymore, that's a tribute to what Few has maintained)
    Bob McKillop
    Brad Brownell (UNC Wilmington wouldn't offer him much of a raise when his contract expired a couple of years ago. Judging by UNC By The Sea's results since, guess the Seahawks should have coughed up a raise ... )
    Jim Larranaga
    Dana Altman

Another good season from VCU should get Anthony Grant on this list and on the radars of the ADs at the higher-profile schools.

12. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

You mean Brad Stevens?

Draft saved Draft deleted