1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best mid-major hoops coach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Billy Gillispie.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Get back to me in February. If he manages to rebuild a guard-heavy team into one that actually has a low-post presence, he'll be there for sure.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Uh, BYH has a personal vendetta against George Mason.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

It stems from 2006. He may be a nice man. He just coaches a bunch of thugs and he's employed by a weasel. So he fields the brunt of my rage.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

And his team made the NCAA tournament, at the expense perhaps of BYH's alma mater, and went all the way to the Final Four while the dickhead seethed.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I didn't seethe you rotten bastard.

Seethe indicates I may have bottled up some of my rage.

I surely did not seethe.

Oh and Kevin Bannon deserves placement on this list. :D :D :D

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

When Kevin Bannon was a mid-major coach, he made the tourney twice. Then he moved up and proved his suckitude.

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Stew Morrill at Utah State has to be on any list, though I suppose there could be some debate about the WAC's status as a mid-major. Anthony Grant at VCU is most likely to move up the soonest though the jury has to still be out on his ability.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think at 55, Stew might be a little long in the tooth for the job I'm thinking about.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Jim Baron at Rhode Island deserves a mention among excellent mid-major coaches. Won A-10 coach of the year at different schools (URI and St. Bonaventure). Took over a program in shambles after Jim Harrick took it to the Elite Eight and brought it to the conference title game last year. He has a good chance of an NCAA berth this year.

Solid guy and still improving as a coach.

There are several excellent coaches in that conference.

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Bob McKillop is a great one, although he's a career guy at Davidson.
    Chattanooga's John Shulman was impressive during his first two seasons. And he dresses like a wild and crazy guy, so that's a plus.

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Did not realize you were looking for a guy to take a new gig, so on that note, how about Scott Sutton at Oral Roberts? Portland State's Ken Bone is another guy to watch down the road.

Draft saved Draft deleted