1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Michael Jackson song?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 26, 2009.

?

What's Michael Jackson's best song?

1. Thriller

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. Beat It

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. Billie Jean

17 vote(s)
    24.6%
  4. Smooth Criminal

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Man in the Mirror

6 vote(s)
    8.7%
  7. The Way You Make Me Feel

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. Say Say Say

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. PYT

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  10. You Wanna Be Startin' Something

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  11. Other

23 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I think Off the Wall is his best album, on account of the fact that Larry Carlton of The Crusaders/Steely Dan fame plays guitar, and much like Eddie, you can hear it.

2. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

1. Billie Jean
    2. Wanna Be Starting Something
    3. Got To Be There (I always assumed this was a Jackson 5 song, but it's not.)
    4. Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
    5. PYT

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

as cliched as it may be -- i know we all strive to be unique and make it appear that we eclectic taste -- "billie jean" and "beat it" have to top my list. crank 'em up on a decent sound system and lose yourself in hooks galore. 8) 8) 8)

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Come on Eileen" by Dexys Midnight Runners, for a single week in between.

It was all but unheard of then for one artist to have two songs in the Top 5 simultaneously. Of course, with all the "featuring" bullshit that goes on nowadays, you have comparative nobodies doing it all the time and even replacing themselves at No. 1.

But no one will ever, EVER repeat the Beatlesque feat of owning the Top 5 in a single week - the Fabs did it on April 4, 1964.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

1. Rock With You
    2. Human Nature
    3. Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
    4. Beat It
    5. Wanna Be Starting Something

6. hacksaw2828

hacksaw2828 Member

Human nature without a doubt is the best song. The lyrics were perfect for his voice and the instruments used for the song jelled well too. I think the opening 12 seconds of the song and the last 15 seconds are the best because they show the strength of his voice. One thing that catches my attention about his music though is that I believe the music was so good it almost didn't require a voice singing with the tune to be successful. And that is meant as no disrespect to him because part of being a success is finding the right music to accompany your voice. His songs allowed people to expand their thoughts and think deeply about things in their lives.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

'Don't Stop Til You Get Enough' is my favorite MJ song by a mile.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

"Off the Wall" was a cassette with several cool tunes on it.
    Used to jam to it on my walkman-type device for basketball trips on the yellow dog.

I voted here for "Wanna Be Startin' Something" but I'd have to think back to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Loved that song as a kid.

Like "Billie Jean" and "Beat It" but love "Man in the Mirror"

10. "Going Back to Indiana"

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"State of Shock," the lead single off the Jacksons album that came out right when "Thriller" finally tailed off, was a great duet with two MJs: Michael and Mick Jagger. The song should've had more staying power than it did.

12. Deskhack

Deskhack Member

I'll put a vote in for "Shake Your Body Down To The Ground". The Jacksons had some pretty good stuff in the late 70s before Michael left to go solo.

Draft saved Draft deleted