1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best (meaning worst) newspaper chain stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UNCGrad, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It changes so quickly... I remember hearing about stock options and other benefits at Tribune Co. and how they got 50 cents a mile for mileage, which was more than twice what some were getting and thinking it would be the perfect chain to go to, and look at it now...

2. PirateSports

PirateSports Member

I left the Heartland/Civitas chain a couple of years ago after several bad experiences, including being "promoted/forced into" an editor position shortly after the entire newsroom quit. I now work for a family-owned newspaper and it's great. My publisher is three offices down, my editor is across the hall and both allow me to run my sports section how I choose. If I've ever needed anything (new camera, lenses, better computer) I've gotten it.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The third option, which is the one in which I've been working since 2001 (with the exception of a year away) is a newspaper owned by a non-profit entity. The owner of our paper didn't want the paper passing into the hands of a chain and he and his wife had no heirs.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I've worked for the same chain (I'd rather not say which one, but it's well-known), for most of my career, with the exception of three years I was SE for a family-owned weekly. After that experience, the chain, warts and all, looked pretty damn good.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I've had both at the same paper. It started out privately owned but when the owner passed away, his wife and children weren't interested in keeping it. Only two local people showed an interest and both balked, so it went to a chain.

The chain made improvements to technology that the former owner wouldn't have been able to afford. But all the bureaucracy that the chain implemented has worn me down.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Cool. You hiring?

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

There's not enough bandwidth here for me to express my many disgusts with MediaNews Group.

Draft saved Draft deleted