1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Masters Holes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MileHigh, Apr 9, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

So many to choose from.

2, a challenging par-5.
    3, a great short par-4.
    8, a risk-reward par-5.
    9, need to get it to the right.
    10, long downhill par-4
    11, frankly, has been ruined with its length.
    12, enough said.
    13, another risk-reward par-5.
    15, see above
    16, another classic.

The last two holes are such a letdown.

For my money, I'll take 13.

As for the worst, I do not like 14 or 17.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Anyone Tiger Woods hasn't drilled is fine by me...

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That'd be 3. He tried to drive it in the final round a few years back and, um, spit the bit.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

18 is a tough fucking hole.. narrow driving lane with a dogleg to the right and up a hill. if you don't bend it around you end up with possibly a blind shot to the green. too much and you're in the woods.

16 is my favorite hole to watch the tournament from. Right behind the green, obviously.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The postage stamp at 7.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

There's no risk at 8. If you don't hit the green in two, the worst you can do is have a 30- or 40-yard pitch; granted, the terrain might make it tough to get close for a good birdie try, but nine times out of 10, a pro can take 6 out of the equation.

I don't mind the added length at 11. I'd rather watch this role than the goofy 15th; a par 5 where players can hit driver/7-iron does absolutely nothing for me.

There are lots of places where you can entertained all day just watching players hit one shot (second shot at 7 or 9, tee shot at 16), or try to putt from above the hole, when they end up twice as far from the hole as when they started.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

People I know who have been lucky enough to play the course, and who are better golfers than myself by far (not that that is a difficult accomplishment) say there's no contest in terms of difficulty. It's 11 followed by 9.
    For the tournament golf experience, combining difficulty for the pros and fun for the spectators plus aesthetic beauty, etc., I'd have to go with 12.

8. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Personally, I love 10. In the old days most 2nd shots were long irons or woods and the hole was miked to give a "thwack" sound to the approach shots. Certainly the setting helped this effect.
    Ken Venturi was great at intoning the importance of the second shot and as we all know 'this (the second nine) is where the Masters is won or lost'. The illusion of the huge fairway bunker is asthetically pleasing/intimidating and the incredibly difficult green make 4 a hell of a score. I doubt it's ever been ranked the hardest hole but I'm sure it's in the top 5 year in and year out.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

10. Key

Key Well-Known Member

No. 15 is no longer driver/7-iron. Ernie Els had 255 to the pin Friday and dumped it in the water. Anthony Kim had 250 to the pin also, and I think Mickelson had 227. It's still a fairly easy hole, I would think, by Tour standards, but at least they've put the pond back in play and given the players something to think about.

I think the tee shot at 12 would be my favorite "You get one swing at Augusta" shot, but I've always loved 13 because of the risk/reward and potential for drama on each shot.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Tiger had no more than 7 into the green at 15 on Thursday, and one of the marshals there said a few players were just as long. I have no way of going back to find out what club every player used, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if half a dozen players needed only 7/8 in Round 1. Whatever . . . I don't like a par 5 even if it's driver/5-iron. Make 'em hit a fairway wood if they want to try to reach the green in two.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Tri, The course was DESIGNED to make the short par-5s on the back nine the fulcrum of every player's round, and therefore, of the Masters. You make not like it, but it is how the course is supposed to work -- as Gene Sarazen's double-eagle proved early on.

Draft saved Draft deleted