1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best man

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Don't drink before you do the toast. It's better to be extremely nervous than too relaxed.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

George enters wearing a very small tuxedo.

GEORGE: What, are you locking the door now?
    JERRY: Well, well, look at you. It¹s a little skimpy there isn't it?
    GEORGE: Do you know the last time I wore this thing? Six years ago, when I
    made that toast at Bobby Leighton's wedding.
    JERRY: Ooo, that was a bad toast.
    GEORGE: It wasn't that bad.
    JERRY: I never heard anybody curse in a toast.
    GEORGE: I was trying to loosen 'em up a little bit.
    JERRY: There were old people there, all the relatives. You were like a Red
    Fox record. I mean, at the end of the toast nobody even drank. They were
    just standing there, they were just frozen! That might have been one of the
    worst all time toasts.
    GEORGE: Alright, still her father didn't have to throw me out like that, he
    could have just asked me to leave. The guy had me in a headlock! Susan's not
    going tonight you know.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

The only thing I'd add to what Piotr said about speeches is it's better to go short than to go long.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My buddy's planning my bachelor party right now, but me and my friends have planned all of ours together.
    Bascially, we exchange emails among the core of friends - for us, there's eight of us - until we come up with something. The Best Man usually gets things started throwing out ideas and doing the research.
    Once plans are solidified, e-mails go out to more people.
    I don't know how your buddy feels about surprises, but ours have all been kept a secret for as long as possible. Last Sept. we took our buddy to Baltimore and he didn't know where he was going until he arrived at the airport.
    I'm in the same boat now. I have no idea when or where I'm going, I just know there's a max of 15 people who can go and I'm one of them.

5. rube

rube Active Member

Best advice would be to echo Mustang's comment – make sure dude shows up, at the church, fully dressed and on time.

I've been in at least two wedding parties where we got him there about 15 minutes late – the bride had no idea obviously, but there were plenty of PO'd folks already jabbering.

As far as bachelor parties go – basically anything fun works. Just shy away from renting any type of limo/bus/car – you puke in it, you lose about 500 bones.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I basically felt like a manager when I was a best man at my brother's wedding last year. I felt like everything I did was a part of making the day go smoothly whether that was holding umbrellas for the bride's maids (it rained) or trying to keep the groomsmen from making complete asses out of themselves. I don't recall having any real free time to indulge in food or alcohol.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I asked the same question nearly a year ago.
    that thread was a great help.
    anyhoo, you and the maid of honor are responsible for getting the couple to the reception and off for their honeymoon.
    in our case the maid got a hookup on a rental car so they could drop it at the airport.
    also you are responsible for getting and returning the tuxes.
    also the day before, just be there and make sure he gets around okay. Just little things like driving him around.
    and don't go nuts on the bachelor party unless you want the bride to cut your nuts off.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Can't really add too much more, outside emphasizing that losing the groom during the bachelor party is not cool either. Did that once. Thank god the party was a couple of weeks before the wedding.

Been a best man twice. Short and sweet for the speech is the best way to go. If you are having trouble trying to be funny, or coming up with jokes, don't. Just do the straight up thing and get it out of the way. Also if you do have something memorable planned, make sure you do not to follow the bride's handicapped brother who cries through his speech. You're basically screwed at that point. Tough to control that but it is what it is. Not fun trying to do a speech while the crowd, particularly the family/bride is crying -- mind you this bride cries during Extreme home makeover or whatever its called, but still. Funny doesn't work then.

For the most part just keep things under control from the groomsmen side of things, the last thing you want to be remembered for is causing any kind of disturbance, the day is the bride and grooms, particularly the bride's, just help them shine -- as corny as that sounds.

Draft saved Draft deleted