1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best man etiquette

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jun 9, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was my question as well. WTF?

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Yes, and here in the deep south, the curling clubs are usually booked years out.....

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Make that three of us.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite jokes.

It's well into the reception. All of the ceremonial things have been done, the oldsters have departed but the youngsters are still partying, drinking, dancing.

Groom and best man find a quiet moment aside to catch their breath and sip a cocktail.

Perusing the room, the groom says, "You know, I've screwed every woman in this room except my wife and my sister."

Best man says, "Wow, between the two of us we got 'em all."

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Fantastic work right there.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The best man gives the maid of honor her bikini trim.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I've been best man at 3 weddings, including one in which the groom didn't tell me that I was in the wedding party until the week of the wedding (making me change my flight) and he didn't tell me that I was the best man until I showed up to the rehearsal and was told where to stand. At the time, I didn't know his bride-to-be that well, but I'd been good friends with his long time girlfriend, with whom he had a nasty break up about a year before the wedding. When I was practicing the quickly assembled speech that morning, I kept on using the ex's name instead of his bride's. Luckily, I didn't slip up in front of the crowd.

I used the same line in each speech -- "I guess that I'm supposed to tell an embarrassing story about _______, but you all witnessed the first dance and he's already humiliated himself enough for one day."

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Can't go wrong with the following speech:

"True love is hard to find, sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a goddamn magic show ready to double team your girlfriend..."

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The hypothetical groom is getting to a woman of whom he has not had carnal knowledge?
    That's a pretty flimsy premise there.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

A fucking winner!

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I figured it would go over the head of most of the urbanites. ;)

But they don't have driving sheds south of the border? How far south are you? I would assume that if you're in a place where it rarely snows, farmers can get away with leaving their stuff out all winter.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I used this line giving a toast at my sister's wedding.

I told my new brother-in-law that I wanted him to take my sister's hand, put his on top and grip it nice and tight while looking at her lovingly. He did, and then I told him to enjoy the moment because now that he's married it's the last time he'll ever have the upper hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted