1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Lupica bashing I've seen yet...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Catholic Mass is divided into 3 main parts, The Offertory, at which the priests offers to God the bread and wine to be changed at the Consecration; The Consecration, at which the substance of the bread and wine are changed into the substance of Christ's body and blood- like the Last Supper; The Communion, at which the priest receives the Holy Eucharist under the appearance of both bread and wine.

The symbolic conversion of bread and wine into the body and blood of Jesus Christ is perhaps the most sacred part of the catholic mass.

The thing is Lupica went to Catholic High School and college so clearly he would know this. It makes the wine and cheese remark look really flip and ruins what should have been a touching story.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Cool. Thanks for the information. I guess it would be like me bringing a cheeseburger into Yom Kippur services; or any temple services. I promised the Rabbi I'd never do that ... again.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

As someone not in the business, I generally like reading Lupica's writing. Had no idea of all of the animosity towards him until I started reading this site.

His smugness on the Sports Reporters is painful, especially his parting shot, which is usually also the lead part of his Sunday "Shooting from the Lip" column.

4. Fries with that?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

and Manischewitz wines

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Don't laugh, I've seen it...parents walked into Yom Kippur service with Happy Meals for their kids...people were alternately fainting and snarling. The dad exploded when an usher told him the Hot Wheels could stay but the Chicken Nuggets had to go ('they're kids, they don't have to fast, this is bullshit!') They finally left, but the damage was done....aroma of fries lingered for hours...you could hardly hear the rabbi over the sound of rumbling stomachs.

Sorry for the digression. Back to the whine and cheese.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is just so wrong on so many levels. First of all, if you want to come up with the most unkosher meal that isn't named "pig on a spit," it's going to be anything in a McDonald's wrapper. And if you want to make it into the super-sized equivalent of unkosher, you'll take the burger and slap a piece of cheese on it. I suppose you can wash it down with a glass of milk for good measure. While you're at it, why not steal the torah and dance on it like a wild injun? So with that in mind... I understand that you can consider yourself a jew and live on the Morgan Spurlock diet. You can even feed the kids that way (although I'd call it child abuse). It's like being a Catholic who beats off three times a day. The religion still welcomes you back, even if there are people who shake their heads and tsk tsk. But you'd think that on the one day that is the holiest of the year--the day you are saying, 'Hey god, can I live another year, please? I'll be a good jew! I promise!!!--you might want to stay away from the McDonald's drive-through, right? I mean, the kids can have a PB&J sandwich before you take them off to indoctrinate them into being little super-Jews, can't they? And if you can't resist the lure of McDonald's, can't the kids still scarf the stuff down in the car, before you go to the place that you are going to commune with the diety that doesn't like cheese burgers that come from bloody cows?

Now add to that that you are walking into a place where people are starving to death with a bag of smelly food and you may be the biggest asshole who's ever lived.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Sure, along with the guy who brings cheese up to altar.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I watched a Jewish guy I worked with in college polish off three slices of pizza and a salted nut roll on Yom Kippur one year.

We just started calling him the bad Jew.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My wife and her family used to go to a fairly progressive service for the High Holidays in Greenwich Village. The first time that I went with them for Yom Kippur, the guy sitting a row in front of us brought a bottle of water, a bottle of Diet Coke and a couple of candy bars, all of which he consumed during the two hour morning service. Insane.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yeah, but do you really want to return that badly that you'd be willing to recite 67 Our Fathers, 93 Hail Marys and 14 Acts of Contritition following confession?

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Oy vey, 21, I'm calling bullshit on Happy Meals in temple.

But I can report with all honesty that our rabbi once picked up his misbehaving five-year old son and physically threw him over the first pew at a kids shabbat service.

Draft saved Draft deleted