1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Lupica bashing I've seen yet...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

nice memory FHB - one of the all time great Lupica gaffs.

it's nice to see there are others out there who see what we do in our little friend luppy.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I hope the priest this year breaks mozzarella this year. But he might save that for the holier folk who go to midnight mass. Cheddar wouldn't be bad. Swiss might turn me into a Lutheran though.

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

I'm gonna need someone to explain the wine and cheese thing, please and thank you.

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

Allrightythen.

Thanks, Boom.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just amused myself for five minutes, by reading that in a Lupica voice. That was pretty fun.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I missed that, too.

7. Flying Headbutt

Apparently Lupica went to a catholic funeral of some sort if I recall correctly, though in the least I know it was some sort of catholic service. And while talking about said ceremony, the priest was doing something with wine and cheese, instead of bread and wine. The shock of reading that is what killed pope JP2 I believe, since the pontiff surely was a rabid reader of Lupica, and believed every word the guy wrote. Like Dickie Dunn, if Lupica said it was wine and cheese and not bread and wine, it must be true. I'm sure someone can provide better details, or even an excerpt, than what my memory can rehash.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

he was trying to capture the spirit of the thing... pure poetry...

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here is the story:

TOWN BIDS GOODBYE TO
    champion of children
    [SPORTS FINAL Edition]

New York Daily News - New York, N.Y.
    Author: MIKE LUPICA
    Date: Sep 23, 2001
    Start Page: 68
    Section: SPORTS
    Text Word Count: 1043

Abstract (Document Summary)

One of [Joe Coppo]'s best friends, a tough little guy named Jim Bulakowski, told a story about the Senior Babe Ruth team Coppo had coached six years ago, not because he had a son on it, just because the team didn't have anybody to coach it. Joe Coppo raised a hand at a meeting and said he'd take it.

"The first game he coached, one of the fathers comes up to him afterward and starts complaining that his son didn't play enough," Bulakowski said. "The usual stuff. Then he starts giving Joe a lecture about all the strategy things he'd screwed up in the game. Joe listens patiently, then he smiles at this guy. You could never wipe the smile off Joe's face. Finally he says to this guy, 'Do you know what the great Leo Durocher said once?' The guys says, no, he doesn't. Still smiling, Joe says, 'Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand.' "

At the Presentation of the Gifts during the funeral Mass, Bulakowski and Piel Pennington, an old UMass quarterback, brought up wine and cheese and then the kids from the last baseball team Coppo ever coached, a group of 13-year-old All-Stars who played in a big travel league in the next town over, came to the back of the church in their pressed white uniforms. One carried the team's championship trophy to the front of the church, another carried a bat, another carried a glove that had belonged to Coach Coppo. A woman sang "Shine, Jesus, Shine" in a clear, strong voice. And all over the church all these other faces I knew from our town's ballfields, and gyms, continued to cry for Joe Coppo.

10. Flying Headbutt

And Boomer blasts it out of the park.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Sorry to pee in your punch bowl, but I'll make it not unanimous. Yes, I thought the piece was funny. Admittedly it's been quite a while since I worked with Mikey, but I had zero problems with him, and I was far from being a passive copy editor over about a year of dealing with him. I've heard the stories, read the bitching here over the years, but my firsthand experience was different, and I try to make up my own mind about people instead of letting others do it for me. Even if I were to accept the possibility that for some obscure reason I was among a select few that Mikey did not shit on, the constant piling on looks creepy.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Damn it.

That's a legitimate non-unanimity.

Draft saved Draft deleted