1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best-looking newspapers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxramblings07, Jun 3, 2008.

1. I did a search and couldn't come up with anything, so I hope this isn't a d_b. I just wanted to see the various opinions of everyone and the papers they think look the best, design-wise and overall presentation, across the country. This isn't just for Sports, but the newspaper as a whole.

Here are my top five:

1. Kansas City Star
    2. The Virginian-Pilot
    3. San Antonio Express-News
    4. Salt Lake Tribune
    5. Orange County Register

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You are drunk on at least two of those!
    But not wrong because, well, opinion is opinion.

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I'll give the Pilot points for originality, but I don't think it's one of the best designed.

4. Moderator1

They make the effort to be different and that has to count for something.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If anyone says Bakersfield, I will personally kick your ass. :D

6. Moderator1

Buck and Roy sing a cool song about Bakersfield but looking at the front on our daily slideshow made me blind. Hell, that may be what drove me out of the business.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, the Bakersfield music scene produced geniuses.

Not so much on the design.

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I love -- LOVE -- The State (Columbia, S.C.), and no, I don't work there. I typically only look at sports pages, so my suggestions are geared toward them. Buffalo (Vince Ch... I give up -- he's the man), Omaha and the Detroit Free-Press (a ton of their NHL stuff is up on newspagedesigner.com) come to mind immediately. San Antonio's stuff I've seen isn't bad. Don't know a whole lot about Orange County or Salt Lake City. The Virginian-Pilot does some neat things. St. Louis does some great centerpiece stuff, but I hate the overall look of the paper. I haven't seen a lot of Kansas City's stuff lately, but when I saw it I liked it. There's also a guy in Lincoln, Neb., who is doing some pretty impressive stuff from what I've seen (and no, I'm not him either).

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Palm.

Beach.

Post.

rb

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Despite the trashing it receives, I like how the Pilot looks.
    My list starts with the Arizona Republic.
    Then, The State. KC Star. Detroit News. Dallas is pretty good.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My lowest point in journalism was when I got invited to apply for a sports desk opening in Savannah ... about four months after taking another gig clear across Georgia. The wife was nary a bit interested in another move.

Chattanooga does some good stuff, and has the most gourgeous print reproduction imaginable.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I like what the Washington Times does as well. More often than not, it looks a lot better than the Post.

Draft saved Draft deleted