1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Lite Beer Commercials

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mpcincal, Aug 1, 2007.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

These are five LITE beer commericals, despite what the URL says. In #3, "Whitey Ford," there's a guy buying Uecker a beer whom you will recognize from voice alone:

http://www.deuceofdavenport.com/2007/08/best-coors-lite-commercials-of-80s.html

Grew up watching these between sports events and loved 'em. My favorites that aren't on this Web site:

Bubba Smith and his easy-opening can
    Bob Uecker in and out of the front row ("He missed the tag")
    The bowling tournament ("All we need is one pin, Rodney")
    George Steinbrenner and Billy Martin ("Billy, you're fired," "Not again!")
    Jim Shoulders and Billy Martin ("I didn't punch that dogie.")
    George's brother, Ken Brett ("Utica!?!")

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Bubba Smith-Dick Butkus one that ended with one of them saying he gave up water polo because the horses kept drowning.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Anything with the entire cast is great to get everyone's little catchphrases.

Anything with Uecker, Dangerfield or Boom-Boom's "sacre bleu" comment in it is alright by me.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Frank Deford did a couple. I think one of them was with Billy Martin. Can anybody help me here?

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Gotta go with "All we need is one more pin, Rodney."

You could hear that passage on the TV in one of Dangerfield's movies. I think it was "Easy Money."

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Deford was standing next to Billy Martin at the bar and starts in on how he's here to buy a beer for a legend and goes on with some really syrupy platitudes and Martin is standing there smiling really bashfully because he figures Deford is talking about him, and then Deford says "I'd like to give this beer to a true legend .... Marv Throneberry!" Throneberry then takes the beer, puts his arm around a surprised Martin and says something to the effect of "Don't worry, Billy! Someday you'll be as famous as me."

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Here's the George and Billy one:

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's clear in the George and Billy one that Martin had, um, sampled a lot of product before filming.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My favorite one is the new Bud Light swear jar one. It's on youtube somewhere

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Hacksaw Reynolds sawing the commercial in half upon finding out the barkeep was out of swill Lite.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That is a good one. I got that one in an email and laughed like hell.

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

In the Mickey Spillane commercial (one of them), they had to put band-aids on The Doll's nipples to get the ad on the air. When I was a kid, I actually had a book on these commercials and that was one of the stories. Also I think Boog Powell said - during the filming of the softball episode - that in the majors they'd pitch The Doll right under the tits. Or something to that effect.

Draft saved Draft deleted