1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best letter to the editor...EVER!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Apr 17, 2008.

1. EE94

EE94 Guest

I would temper the pride. It's a bit like her saying: "You're not as ugly as I thought you'd be."

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Like I said, that was back in November 2006. I've tempered it since then.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

One of the weeklies we printed for back in the day had the best civic club photo ever. The caption was something like "Youth minister Billy Bob Whitebread talked to the Kiwanis Club Thursday about the dangers of youth violence." Above that was the picture of Billy Bob in his ill-fitting polo shirt, waving around a snub-nosed pistol like he was pulling off a jewelry heist in the room.

4. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

"Someday, I Will Drive This Short Bus Myself"

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33370

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The same weekly that ran this letter is famous (or perhaps notorious) for its unintentionally funny pictures. They ran one of a roadkilled fox with the tag line "One dead fox". It's black and white from cover to cover, but they always run photos of flowers and trees that describe the lovely colors in rich detail.
    Another time, they ran a picture of a little girl painting a word on the ground during a class. It was supposed to be "Butter" by the time it was finished, but they snapped the picture as she was finishing the second "T", so it just looked like she had painted "Butt".
    Same weekly had a classic headline once upon a time. When Trent Lott got in so much trouble for his remarks at Strom Thurmond's birthday party, the editor (who's also the publisher; she's about 109 years old) wrote a 5-inch brief of her own opinion on the situation. The headline was "Senator Lott gracious, complimentary of Senator Thurmond".

Draft saved Draft deleted