1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Ledes?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txscoop, Feb 27, 2008.

1. txscoop

txscoop Member

Everyone is telling me about bad ledes in the other thread. What about the good ones?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

This was written by one of my former student writers when he worked for the Big J School's wire service:

"If you could stop rubbing your itchy, watery eyes for one second, put down the tissue and look around, you'd see an increasing number of sneezing, sniffling sad sacks just like you."

When I saw that lede, I HAD to run that story in my paper.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I also liked this one:

"Your cat kicked the bucket yesterday. The economy is souring, your baby's daddy skipped town and no matter how often you listen to "SexyBack," Justin Timberlake is never going to date you."

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The famous lede to an advancer in an English paper for the 1966 World Cup final between England and West Germany:

"If on the morrow we should lose to the Germans at our national game, fret not, lads, for twice in this century we have beaten them at theirs."

5. sportsed

sportsed Member

The legendary Dick Young after Don Larsen's perfect game in the '56 World Series:

"The imperfect man pitched the perfect game."

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

In fact, sportsed, that lede appeared under Joe Trimble's byline, although legend has it Young wrote it for him

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

"It was the best of times. It was the worst of times."

OR

"Call me Ishmael."

8. sportsed

sportsed Member

You are correct.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Adn there is no reason to believe that Young didn't write it. I don't think old Joe could have come up with something like that.

10. ltrain1127

ltrain1127 Member

I read this one in the Chicago Tribune a number of years ago when the Cubs were playing some bad defense for a season:

"If the sky were falling, which one of the Cubs would drop it first?"

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I've always been a fan of "Gentlemen, start your coffins."

12. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Shirley Povich in the Washington Post.

"Jim Brown, born ineligible to play for the Redskins, integrated their end zone three times yesterday."

Draft saved Draft deleted