1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best journalism advice/tips you ever received

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm sure this thread has been done before, but there's a two-part twist to this one.

1. What's the best journalism advice or pointer someone ever gave you? Feel free to explain why it was so valuable compared to the rest.

2. What good advice is still applicable to a current journalism student? ("Don't go into journalism," while certainly advice that has merit, does not count)

This is for a group of college students in a journalism class, but it could apply to anyone at that stage in life pursuing any kind of career in a research/communication-centric field.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"Your job is to REPORT, not to 'write.' "

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Best advice I got is still probably the best advice I could give in today's journalism: Knock on the door.

Don't just wait for a story to come to you, go get the story even if it means knocking on the door of an accused criminal. Go get the story.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Nouns and verbs.

5. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

A couple:
    One, like, "Knock on the door," was "Go outside." Even as a small daily SE, I tried to get to somebody's practice or game, no matter the sport, every day.
    Secondly, one that always stayed with me, was Chuck Stone telling us college kids saying about his career, "I was an OK writer. But I was a HELLUVA reporter." Different era, no doubt, but I still hear that one in my head even though I'm several years out of the business.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Timeless advice? Spell out, aloud, every name for the people involved. Every one. John Smith? J-O-H-N S-M-I-T-H? This was always a basic thing that, several times, stood me in good stead because I made it a habit after having it suggested while I was still in college that it would be good to do. It seems obvious, but you'd be surprised how often it is not done.

Best example? There was a four-year All-American softball pitcher's name -- very phonetic, and really, not hard, that was misspelled, by everyone, including the SID's office, for more than three years of her collegiate career, because no one did this, and she was too nice, shy and polite to correct anybody, until one day, I covered the team, asked her, and did it). She, and my editor, both thanked me profusely -- he after rolling his eyes in embarrassment and exasperation.

This is not advice I received, but, based on experience, I would add this, especially nowadays: Be careful what you post/blog.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Don't assume.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Overwriting is a plague. Write like you talk. If you don't, people will think you're a fraud, and you might be.

Write to a story's worth. Don't write long just to write long. If it's worth it, write to your heart's desire. Splurging on stories that aren't worth it is tiresome to the reader.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

read your stuff aloud. write it, print a copy, take it outside or somewhere you can have a moment's peace, and read it aloud. much more likely to catch errors, repetition, lapses in logic and construct. and yeah, don't fuck up people's names.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

For the editors out there: When news or sports reporters come back from covering something, ask them what happened.

They will almost always tell you the most interesting thing. That should be the lede/angle of their story.

Tip No. 2, and it's still valid even in skeleton-crew newsrooms: The paper will still come out without you. Use your comp time/vacation days. You've earned them.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Everyone, even the best journalists in the business, needs to be edited.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Don't ever debate whether to make another call. If you're even asking the question, make the call.

Draft saved Draft deleted