1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Inventions This Decade

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JNEWFIFTY, Jul 17, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

i am stunned -- STUNNED, I SAY -- over the naysayers on the wonders of hdtv.

to me, it's close to the move from black-and-white to color. the difference in picture quality is so vast when compared to the non-hd channels.

difficult to believe anyone doesn't find the picture quality a significant upgrade.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Watch a movie on HD and then on regular TV.

If you don't think there's a huge difference, well, as someone said, go back to he 13" black and white.

HD quality is leaps and bounds superior to regular TV.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not saying I don't see a difference. I'm saying it doesn't make a difference to me.
    I don't enjoy TV more because I'm watching HD.
    There are a few exceptions - 'Planet Earth' and things like that.
    But I don't enjoy sports more because they're in HD.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Time to get a new club, Dools. :)

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

An Olive Garden once had to stop serving the Never-Ending Pasta Bowl after my college cross-country team left because they ran out of pasta.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How about the HD camera that allows Planet Earth to be made, the slow motion of a golf swing or a baseball swing or the clear overhead shot or the QB's view of a football field?

8. That would definitely be a downgrade. The difference between black and white and color is huge. The difference between regular definition and HD is not, not most of the time to me, anyway. When it is, it's a huge difference in regular definition's favor, as I've explained. I'm the kind of guy who only gets what I need and nothing more. If I don't think the upgrade makes things better, I don't bother.

I don't use my remote control because I can't be bothered to look for the darn thing when I can just go to the box and manually change the channel. I didn't upgrade to NCAA Football 09 because I liked NCAA 08 better. I'm not going to upgrade to HD ever because I get a better experience with regular definition. Unless regular definition is phased out, I'll never get HD. I really think it's overrated.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I suspect in a few years (or less) you won't have a choice about regular or HD.

Regular TV's will go the way of eight tracks and VCR's.

Once new technology is made affordable, you can kiss the old stuff good-bye.

Yeah, I'd much rather watch a hockey game on a regular 15" TV than on a 37" flat screen Sharp Aquos any time. Much better experience.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not saying regular definition is better than high definition. HD doesn't detract from my viewing pleasure.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In about eight seconds.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

If you're getting that much of a delay maybe it's not hooked up right, or something's wrong with your setup.

Draft saved Draft deleted