1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Hot Dogs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HelicopterHarry, May 27, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, for something completely different, check out Frank & Dawgs in Chicago.

It's run by a former top chef. They hand make their own sausages. They use top cuts of meat and seasonal high quality artisan ingredients.

And, each month, they have guest dogs designed by some of the best chefs in Chicago.

Check out their menu: http://www.franksndawgs.com/menu

This one is called This little Piggy.It's garlic pork sausage, butter pickled red onions, remoulade vinaigrette & salt ā€˜nā€™ vinegar chips crusted fried oysters.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

While I'm sure it's good, that Franksndawgs looks a little too high-brow for my hot dog tastes, and I'm guessing the other place in Chicago that has the duck fat fries (Hot Doug's?) would be the same.

But I'm guessing that I could put down about a half-dozen from that Walter's place at any given time. Those look outstanding.

When in Chicago, I've always been perfectly happy hitting the Portillo's downtown and getting a couple jumbo chili-cheese dogs with grilled onions and spending the time waiting for my order wandering around, looking at the memorabilia they have from the old Chicago Stadium. That place just feels right.

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

In the store, Hebrew National.

In any store, the franks from Kocher's in Ridgefield, N.J.

To eat on the spot, Yesterdog in Grand Rapids, Mich., and it's not even close.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Nu-Way Weiners in Macon.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Oh, any hotdog is twice as good if a baseball game is being played in front of you when you eat it.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Dixiehack,

Love me some nu-way...they do a scrambled dog for breakfast that is fantastic!

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

International Edition:

Schlemmermeyer's Leckerbissen, Viktualienmarkt, Munich

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Sahlen"s and Hoffmans are great dogs. Hebrew National and Nathan's are too salty.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Really, you can ruin a great hot dog by cooking the wrong way. I'd never boil one. Others would cringe if I said frying in bacon grease is best (but it is).

My preference is to find a butcher shop that makes its own. Commercially, I prefer Hebrew National, although I doubt the manufacturer has bacon grease in mind as a cooking method.

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Slight tj, but this reminded me of Portillo's house dressing - the best shit to ever hit a salad. Or a sandwich, for that matter. I don't know what is in it, but if I had money I would have it shipped to me on a monthly basis. It's that good.

11. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

What is the dressing like, Bear? Anything remotely close that you can compare it to?

I've been a regular chili-cheese dog and Italian beef sandwich guy from there. Now you're making me rethink my decisions ...

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Gray's Papaya in midtown closed?
    This is devastating news. I loved that stand.

Draft saved Draft deleted