1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

best guitar player ... if we dare go here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by everybody duck, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Prince is astounding
    Richard Thompson is the best I've seen in person
    Clapton is laughably overrated
    Robbie Robertson wasn't technically remarkable but had a unique and devastating sound, maybe my personal favorite

among current kids ... James Walbourne (pernice brothers, son volt briefly) is stunning. never heard anybody play quite like him

2. Jeff Beck, in case he wasn't mentioned earlier.

3. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

Jimi and Stevie Ray are my top two. Big fan of Mike McCready too. One other to mention is Tim Reynolds. Lots of people just know him as a guy who tours with Dave Matthews from time to time, but I saw him do a solo show at a small club a few years back, and he did some pretty mind-blowing shit with his guitars. Probably not really in the best of all time conversation, but he's pretty damn good.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

In a nod to the old school, how about Robert Johnson. Without him, there would be no Rock and Roll.
    Oh, and didn't a guy named Dylan also play guitar?

5. One of the guys in our pressroom wears a shirt every now and then that says, "Yngwie Fucking Malmsteen"

I couldn't pick Malmsteen out of a lineup, but the shirt makes me laugh. So to honor the pressdude:

Yngwie Fucking Malmsteen!

6. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How has Slash not been mentioned? Or did I miss it?

I'm not saying I would put him with Hendrix or Eddie Van Halen, but he's got to be one of the best of the last 20 years.

8. I think Slash was in there somewhere. If not, I agree Mizzou.

9. Neil Young
    Chet Atkins
    Mark Knopfler
    Ry Cooder
    J J Cale
    Buzz Osbourne
    Bill Frisell
    Rontrose Heathman
    Kristy Wallace aka Poison Ivy Rorschach
    Malcolm Young [better than Angus]
    Joseph Mascis
    Rik Emmett
    Billy Gibbons
    Paul Leary

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Wow, I didn't think Rory Gallagher would be mentioned. Nice.

Another guy that's not too well known but is the best I've ever heard live is Joe Bonamassa.

Warren Haynes, of Gov't Mule, also kicks ass.

11. 1) Hendrix.
    2) Duane Allman (Don't forget his great session work at Muscle Shoals. Try Clarence Carter's "Road of Love," or Pickett's "Hey Jude," or Boz Scaggs epic "Loan Me A Dime.")
    3) Clapton (No excuse for the dissing around here. None.)

And two from the old-school file: Scotty Moore and Mike Bloomfield.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Not sure if anyone mentioned James Burton yet. He was a guitar player's guitar player. Played with Elvis, among others.

And yes Dylan played guitar, but I'm not sure I'd rank him as one of the best ever.

Can;t believe no on mentioned Mark Knopfler before Lone Star Speed did.

Draft saved Draft deleted