1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best golf course you've ever played

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Reflection Bay in Vegas -- brutally expensive, but nice.

TPC at Jasna Polana -- great course and free (for me)

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I've played Pinehurst 2. There's a course close to there called the pit. that's a fun course.

played the brickyard in indianapolis. carl edwards came to practice before the 400, so I had a NASCAR car doing 180 around the track while I was playing 7-10. that was fucking cool.

i worked at the trophy club in lebanon, in. nice track there.

recently played the champions. 27 designed by nicklaus, palmer and player just outside of augusta. now, that was a course.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Pinehurst #4. A gorgeous, historic setting. And lining up a putt on the domed greens is counter-intuitive. That's why I ignored the caddy's directions for three holes before I wised up.

4. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Not that I play or cover golf much...but I did get a chance to play RTJ (home of the Pres Cup). So that would be my choice, and a pretty easy one at that.

One of these days, I'll make it to Bandon/Pacific Dunes. I've read the book about it, and I'm amped to go next time we're out west.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I haven't played too many high profile courses, but hardest course I've ever played was Bethpage Black. Narrow as hell fairways and rough that makes some forrests look like plains.

6. Tie for me between Pebble Beach and the Plantation Course at Kapalua.

Plantation probably wins because it's as close as I've ever come to an ace. Dropped one that hit the stick and bounced out on one of the Par 3's. Considering I shot about a 101 that day, it was my only redemption for the course. Two of the most gorgeous places I've ever been though.

Still dream of playing Augusta.

7. Johnny Drama

Johnny Drama Member

raise your hand if you actually believe the dipshit has sniffed Pebble Beach

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

The best course I've ever played is the majestic Gulfport Par 3, home of the Keystone Invitational Golf Classic. Right next to the airport *and* the police firing range, your backswing has never been such an adventure. No. 3 is the Road Hole, nothing like St. Andrews, but you hang a 9-iron left and the ball will go for about a mile if it doesn't catch a yard or a house. There's Urine Corner that includes Nos. 4, 5 and 6, where you initially get to the woods and your bladder first needs relief after the beer chugging you're doing to accumulate mulligans (1 beer consumed=1 mulligan; tournament record is 42 beers for the 45-hole event).

I could go on, but it's a classic case of who you're with being more important than where you are. The awards presentation includes a six-pack of Keystone to the winner, a 12-pack to the runner-up, a six-pack for the Tournament Lush and the coveted brown, elbow-padded sweater for the Renaissance Man (a combination of score, beers consumed and sportsmanship votes). I've won lush, but little else. For several years, I played the entire event with a 5-wood, completely inappropriate for a course where there are 60-yard holes. My favorite stat from the record book is that the same guy holds the record for worst score and best score. Dude honed his game to a razor's edge for crappy par-3 magic.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Ah, let's see.... It's not quite Rock Bottom's or Pete Wevurski's (hi, Pete), but the names can stand on their own.

1. Riviera CC (7X)
    2. Wailea Gold, Maui
    3. Sherwood CC (home of Tiger's tournament/5X)
    4. Canyons Course at BIGHORN GC, Palm Desert (home of the Samsung World Championship)
    5. The River Course, Kiawah Island, SC. (One of two private courses on Kiawah and one I saw my first gator).
    6. Banff Springs, Banff, Alberta (only one of this group I actually paid for)
    7. El Caballero CC, Tarzana, CA. (former home of the LA LPGA event and a frequent U.S. Open qualifying site)

Nice Ambiance/Mediocre Golf Category
    1. Trump National, Los Angeles (best known as the course that lost the 18th hole to the Pacific Ocean back in 1999)
    2. The Bridges, Rancho Santa Fe, CA (former home of the Battle at The Bridges and Philly Mick's home club).

Special 9-Hole Category
    Threetops at Treetops Resort, Gaylord, Mich.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

You're an assclown ;) ;D

11. Rambler

Rambler Member

The Old Course at St. Andrews. And, yes, it was as amazing as you can imagine it would be.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Riviera and Doral.

Draft saved Draft deleted