1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best golf course you've ever played

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Jul 24, 2006.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know, I forgot the Stadium course, but probably on purpose.

I played there like three times, and the damn guys I played with always insisted on playing from the tips or, once when I was lucky, the blues.

They insisted that was the way to experience it. But with my game back then, there were some holes I couldn't even reach the landing area on.

I really would have liked to have played it from the whites, where it would have played like the target golf course it was supposed to be.

I'm kiind of jaded about $200-plus rounds of golf, but if I get out there, I'll pay whatever the tariff is for one shot at Pebble.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Harbour Town, even if its tight fairways kicked my ass.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Golden Tee

4. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Arrowhead Pointe in Elberton, Ga.

Amazing course a couple hours from Augusta, literally in the middle of nowhere.

http://www.arrowheadpointegc.com/introduction.htm

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The TPC at Sawgrass has two courses, the Stadium and the Valley. The Stadium is underoging renovation and will re-open Nov. 1. There's also a course across the street and down a mile, used to be called Oak Bridge, now the Ponte Vedra Golf and Country Club. Short and tight.

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

middle of nowhere? it's the granite capital of the world! and, it's close to hartwell!

7. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

so true. and toccoa.

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

the granite bowl rocks

9. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Fishers Island Club

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/fishers1.html

Also on Fishers, Hay Harbor Club.  Nine holes, not quite as challenging, but still gorgeous.  Plus, it's where I learned to play.

I'll be on both in the next two weeks.

10. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

have you played arrowhead?

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

I've played a couple in Hawaii and even a crappy course there is better than quite a few on the mainland.
    But Oak Hill is the nicest by far.
    You could eat off those fairways.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I've been lucky enough to play more than my share of great courses.\
    The best? It'd be a tie between Ballybunion in Ireland and the Country Club as it was set up for the Ryder Cup.
    Hardest? Played the Stadium course at Sawgrass when it was new and they let locals test-drive it. Instead of those spectator railroad tie benches, there were mounds of sand. Greens a tad hard, too. Worst of all was the suspicion Pete Dye was taping the whole thing and laughing at it afterwards.
    Most fun? Truro Highlands in Truro, Mass. If you are ever on Cape Cod, play this! It's public, and possibly the only course on national parkland.

Draft saved Draft deleted