1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Godfather scene/line

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ScribePharisee, Nov 18, 2008.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Just watched the whole damn series of them. Took me six days but I finally got it done, some 40 years after the sonofbitches were made.

Two questions:

What if James Caan had swapped places with Al Pacino? What would it have done to the careers of both and how both are portrayed in films they later played in?

What's your favorite scene or line?

The horse head was the one I remembered most from the clips and pieces I'd seen in years past. The other is when Pacino's brother-in-law beats the hell out his sister then pays the price in a family style execution.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Baptism scene is my favorite 6 minutes in the history of movies.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

1. Actually, I think Caan was originally considered for Michael. The studio wanted someone who was already famous, but Coppola put his foot down for Pacino, who was basically an unknown. DeNiro was among those who auditioned for Sonny (he also tried out for Michael and Carlo, but didn't get any of the parts).

2. The Sonny execution is a work of art, though Coppola admits he cribbed heavily from "Bonnie and Clyde."

I love all the interactions between Tom Hagen and Jack Woltz, particularly the line "and then Johnny Fontaine comes along, with his olive oil voice and guinea charm."

The way they set up and carry out the death of Solazzo/McCluskey is excellent as well, including the way it's discussed beforehand ("you walk right up ... bada-bing!... you blow his brains out all over your nice Ivy League suit!).

And of course, there's the "blood Baptism" which has been ripped off by so many mafia movies and TV shows I've lost count.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The part where Fredo gets elected president of the United States.

Just kidding. Horse's head in the movie. In the novel, Lucy Mancini needing to get her vagina surgically tightened because no one but Sonny was laaaarge enough to satisfy her otherwise.

5. chester

chester Member

Leave the gun ... take the cannoli.

6. Steak Snabler

Clemenza has a bunch of great lines, but the best one is this one:

"Paulie? Won't see him no more."

7. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Yes they did. Madam Corleone came back as Adrian whose brother was Paulie.

8. Steak Snabler

Touche.

And Burt Young appeared in The Sopranos as Bobby Baccalieri Sr., Junior's old button man. Junior was played by Dominic Chianese, who also played Johnny Ola (Hyman Roth's No. 2) in GF2.

And now we're back with The Godfather ...

9. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

"And if by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies then they would become my enemies. And then, they would fear you."

Oh yeah ...

This has been on my Christmas list for a couple of years ...

[​IMG]

http://www.kropserkel.com/horse_head_pillow.htm

;D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Favorite line right there, for scene I have to agree with the people who said the baptism scene.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The look on Kate's face at the end of the first one.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Tom telling Vito about Sonny's death.

Draft saved Draft deleted