1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BEST game you ever saw

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by txscoop, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Man, that was a great game. Watched the beginning at a bar with some friends, left at the 7th inning stretch when the Tribe was getting waxed. Listened on the radio and caught the end of it at home. It was well after 12 when they won, my buddy called, I just grabbed the phone and yelled CAN YOU BELIVE THIS FUCKING SHIT! GLad it wasn;t my grandmother.
    Awesome game, but I would have left too, so don't feel bad.

2. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

For me it was Georgia's win at Tennessee in 2001. The Hobnail Boot game. Tennessee took what appeared to be an unsurmountable lead with less than a minute left in the game in a raucous Neyland Stadium. Georgia, under redshirt freshman QB David Greene, drives down the field and scores the game-winning touchdown with little time left on the clock. Most silent 100,000-plus stadium I've ever heard. It was great.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

1. Chargers 41, Dolphins 38 OT, divisional playoffs. Chargers lead 24-0. Hook and lateral. Chandler punt return. Winslow.
    2. Marlins 3, Indians 2 (11), Game 7 of World Series. Has any massive WS gaffe been as overlooked as Tony Fernandez's in the 11th?
    3. Dolphins 23, Eagles 20, Dec. 9, 1990, Marino rallies from down 20-3 against Reggie White, Jerome Brown, Clyde Simmons and the boys
    4. Dolphins 17, Chiefs 16, Jan. 5, 1991, Marino rallies from down 16-3, culminating with an impossible short out pass to Clayton I'm still convinced Albert Lewis had picked. Dave Szott as a rookie, gets called for holding, or Lowery probably still wins it for KC.
    5. Broncos 31, Packers 24, Super Bowl XXXII. Terrell Davis... that line... Elway... what were the oddsmakers thinking installing the Pack at -12. Ka-ching.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

2002 Olympic Hockey Gold Medal game: Canada 5 USA 2. Only time in my life I almost cheered at a game I was covering. The passion in the building was incredible and I stopped myself right before I clapped when Jarome Iginla's second goal bounced in to make it 4-2.

2001 NBA Eastern Conference Semifinal: Sixers over Raptors 4-3. Game 2, Iverson went for 54. Game 3, Carter for 50. Game 5, Iverson 52. Game 7, Dell Curry three-pointer cuts Sixers' lead to 88-87 in the last minute. Carter, on the day he attended his university graduation, misses a jumper that could win it at the buzzer.

2001 World Series: Diamondbacks over Yankees 4-3. George Bush in Game 3, back when everyone except Fenian still liked him. Tino Martinez off Kim in Game 4. Scott Brosius off Kim in Game 5. The loudest crowd I've ever heard -- when Randy Johnson came out of the bullpen in Game 7. Luis Gonzalez.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

The fact this thread has gone 3 pages + without any mention of Duke-UK has me baffled.

Oh........and Laettner traveled.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Didn't cover it, but I skipped school in 1986 to see game 6 of the NLCS as the Mets beat the Astros in extra-extra innings. Easily the greatest game I've seen in person.

7. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

For me it was a high school game.

Eventual state champs 35-34 OT in state semifinal game. Starting QB for state champs either threw for or ran for all five TDs, had (I think) two picks, a fumble recovery and a blocked field goal. He rushed the PAT in OT from the same side, and the kicker shanked the PAT.

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Funny, the two that stand out are ones where my team lost.

November 1992, (1) Miami 16, (9) Syracuse 10. This was the thug-life Miami team defending a national championship and the OrangeMEN gave it all it could handle. Marvin Graves' completed the long pass to Chris Gedney... who was then flattened at the 3 as time ran out. Orange ran two plays in the final 90 seconds as Graves lost his lunch on the field. Someone hit Lamar ("You don't bring dat mess in da OB") Thomas with an orange when he ran, arms spread past the student section.

March/April 1996. Final Four. Last one in a small arena. The result stung at the time but hey, I saw a Final Four as a fan with my college playing. Can't beat that. Well, you could...

Otherwise, Game 5 of NLDS in 2003 with the Cubs playing a "home" game in Atlanta. Again, my team wins a playoff series, only to suffer its inevitable fate in the next round.

93Devils, awesome story. Well-told. I want so badly to see a pitcher throw a gem.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This reminds me, last year's MLS Cup in Frisco is one of the best things I have ever covered. No score through regulation then each team scores a goal in the span of about 12 seconds to send it to penalty kicks, where Houston pulls out the win. It was utter chaos at the stadium as well. The whole place was rooting for Houston and they went balistic when the Dynamo won on penalty kicks.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Only "again" wouldn't apply to the Cubbies, as they hadn't won a playoff series since 1908 before this one. And haven't come close since. :D

I was at this game, too. Covered Vikings-Falcons at the Dome that afternoon, then rushed over to the Ted (with an upper deck ticket) to see Kerry Wood dominate the listless Braves that night. There were about 2,000 Cubs fans huddled behind the third-base dugout for an hour after the game, chanting for Wood and Prior and, most of all, Sosa, to come out and spray them with champagne. I stuck around to watch 'em, but it wasn't very fun for me, needless to say.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Best game I ever saw: Game 5, '86 ALCS. RF bleachers Anaheim Stadium.

I took my dad, a lifelong Angels fan. I'm a Sox fan who went to college 5 minutes from Anaheim Stadium and used to go to 10-15 games a year. A high school friend of mine was the credit manager of a department store that had an old Ticketron. So I got the tickets through her.

The only athletic event I witnessed that physically and emotionally beat the bejesus out of me as a mere spectator. Plus, it being on the eve of Yom Kippur, I had only an hour or so to stuff myself before fasting.

Then, I crashed. Hard.

I don't know if I'll see anything on the sports' front remotely that dramatic again in my lifetime.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That's a hell of a pedigree, SoCal.

I was supposed to be AT this game. Had tickets, my dad's car, money from working my ass off and a girlfriend who was anxious to see her first hockey game.

Also had pleurisy and early stages of pneumonia, which kept me bedridden and that game on my TV. Had I gone, it probably would have killed me.

Draft saved Draft deleted