1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BEST game you ever saw

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by txscoop, Jul 16, 2007.

1. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I was a paying customer to the Indians coming back from 12 runs down against the Mariners in 2001 (the largest comeback in the history of Major League Baseball), but I left after the eighth inning. To this day, my friends have never let me off the hook for that.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I think man cards are taken away for less than that, Citizen.

3. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Mine's pretty easy: George Mason defeating UConn in the regional finals in '06. I thought they were finished for sure after Denham Brown's layup bounced around the rim and finally through.

I know it's not a big deal for a lot of you guys, but that meant, for the first time ever, I'd get to fly to an assignment.

4. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

2004 Hockey East Final, Maine 2, UMass 1. Three overtimes. Absolutely incredible.

5. Gil_Hicks

Gil_Hicks New Member

Again, didn't cover it, but as soon as I read the thread title I thought of this game.

An overflowing Palestra, 1996. PIAA Class AAAA semifinal. Lower Merion and a kid named Kobe Bryant vs. Coatesville and a kid named Rip Hamilton. Truly a back-and-forth game I'll never forget.

6. rolling

rolling Member

I love it. I wasn't there but remember it well.

I was, however, there for the 2003 game against the Broncos, when Dante Hall went left, right, backwards, left and then 94 yards straight ahead for his fourth touchdown return in four weeks. The roar was the loudest noise I've ever heard.

7. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

1993 Braggin Rights game at the Checkerdome in St. Louis. Illinois' Kiwane Garris misses two free throws with no time left in the second overtime to win the game. Mizzou wins in triple OT.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Indeed, I do feel fortunate having those among the thousands of games I've seen.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

In person, the best game I ever saw, I guess, was the Game 5 of the ALDS in 1995. I didn't like the outcome, but it is still probably the most amazing game I ever saw.

On TV, the best game I have ever seen was Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS.

10. rascalface

rascalface Member

Best game I saw in person: 1997 Missouri vs. Nebraska football, aka the "Flea Kicker."

Still makes me cry.

Stupid Shevin Wiggins.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I watched...

OK, I guess I will type the story.

I went to visit some buddies of mine in NYC, and we decided to take in a Yankee game. It was a Saturday, and the Twins were in town. We bought subs from the Carnegie Deli to eat in our seats on the third base line. The pitching match-up was Tewksbury versus Ramiro Mendoza. Yanks won. Great day all around.

The next morning, my buddy's cousin had two tickets from work. He wanted to go, but only myself or Steve could go. We went back and forth all morning.

"You go. You are a bigger Yankees fan than I am," I said.

"You go. You are in town visiting," he said. " I can see them whenever I want."

It finally came down to that Steve needed to get a haircut, so I took the ticket.

His cousin knew nothing about baseball.

As we were walking into the stadium, he asked me who Jeter was after seeing numerous people with a "Jeter" on the back of a shirt. The way he pronounced it though rhymed with cheddar.

I knew it was going to be an interesting day.

I bought him a game program, and as he was leafing through the magazine he pointed at a man and asked if that was DiMaggio. I corrected him by saying it was Steinbrenner. I then said he might want to keep his voice down if he had anymore questions.

We get to the seats, and they are spectacular as Teri Hatcher's breasts. We were about 20 rows behind the Yankee dugout. It was a beautiful late spring Sunday, and it was Beanie Baby at the park. The stadium is packed with fathers and kids.

Seated behind us is an idiot who is wearing a New Jersey Devils hat. Typical idiot at a ballpark. We will get to him later.

The game goes along, and I start keeping score in the program. It's a habit I'm sure most of us have when attending a ballgame.

The game is moving along briskly with the Yankees taking a three or four run lead. Wells is mowing down the Twin hitters with ease.

In the sixth inning, the cousin asks me if I am "one of those people who likes to stay for the entire game."

He said I gave him the look of death.

You see, there was no way the two words "perfect game" were going to come from my mouth. The idiot in the Devils hat had no problem saying it about every 15 seconds. If the perfect game was broken up, I was going to prison because I was going to assault this guy.

The cousin had no clue what was going on. He had no idea what a perfect game was, and I was not about to explain it to him. I did drop the hint that I hoped the batter who lead off the seventh inning for the Twins was not going to hit again.

"Why?" he asked. "That guy has not gotten a hit all game."

As the game went on, the stadium was roaring on every stike and every out.

"These Yankee fans really get into the game," he said.

Finally, after writing shaking scribbles in my scorebook, Paul O'Neill clutched the final out.

I was jumping up and down screaming while trying to explain to him what had happened. He saw something most people would ever see even if they went to 160 games a year for 50 years.

My buddy Steve was crestfallen.

He was listening and watching the game the entire time debating weater to catch a subway to the stadium and get a late ticket.

He didn't.

He had said that seeing a perfect game in Yankee Stadium would have been the greatest thing he could ever imagine.

I really had mixed emotions because I saw a perfect game, but my friend had missed seeing it.

Forward to next year.

I am on vacation in Upsate New York, and I hear that David Cone has thrown a no hitter. I had also heard that a French guy blew a three or four stroke lead on the final hole of the British Open.

Needless to say I am watching Sportscenter at 7 p.m.

The show starts and the lead with the Yankee game. I thought to myself the British Open collapse is a bigger story than the no hitter, but then I realize that it was not a no hitter. Cone had thrown a perfect game.

I raced to a phone trying to reach Steve. I was praying he had gone to the game. It was Old Timers' Day at the park. Yogi was mending fences with the organization.

And Steve was there with his father.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

Brief jack.....

Who was the catcher for the fielding team?

Draft saved Draft deleted