1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BEST game you ever saw

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by txscoop, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Watched in person: Steelers 2005 playoffs over Colts.
    Covered in person: 2003 Fiesta Bowl, from the lovely roof of Sun Devil Stadium.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Covered: Game 4 of the 1999 WHL Final between the Calgary Hitmen and the Kamloops Blazers, featuring the defensive battle between Brad Stuart and Robyn Regehr. Triple overtime, Hitmen win and put a stake in the heart of the Blazers championship dream. Out in five games.

Fandom live: Game 4, Round 1 of the 2004 NHL Stanley Cup playoffs. Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames. Flames win 4-0. Beautiful to watch.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Just watched a TIVOed version of the 2006 Rose Bowl, but I think the 2007 Fiesta Bowl beats that out as best college football game in recent memory.

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

Not only does the '06 Rose Bowl beat the '07 Fiesta Bowl, it beats everything else. That wasn't a game, that was a movie script happening in real time. I know I'm young, but I've never watched a game on TV or in person that was as amazing as the '06 Rose Bowl.

ESPN had declared USC the best team ever before the game was even played. When Jarrett caught the TD pass in traffic (when one of the Griffins broke his arm) to put USC up 38-26 with under 7 minutes left, everyone thought it was over, including me. But, Vince Young was playing......

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Best one I saw live was as a fan: KC-Denver in '97 when Pete Stoyanovich hit the 53-yarder to win it and give the Chiefs the division title. Arrowhead was completely nuts.

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

Best baseball game seen in person - Aug. 25, 2001....Rangers over Red Sox in 18 innings. Bill Haselman beats out an infield single for the win. Two teams I cared nothing about, which kinda made it more enjoyable because I could just sit back and enjoy. Plus, A-Rod dumped on a pitch for a titanic bomb, prompting an El Guapo emergence from the Sox bullpen. One of the greatest moments of my life.

7. Gillette237

Gillette237 Member

Didn't cover it, but being in the stands at the late, not so great Foxboro Stadium for the Snow Bowl was a hoot. Pats 16, Raiders 13, OT. From my seat, I couldn't see Vinatieri's game-tying kick in the final minute. I had no idea if it was good until the official's arms went up.

Say it with me. After further review...

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

The best part about that was they showed Neil Smith's reaction. He starts running on the field celebrating, and stopped and looked away with a look of disbelief when the ball snuck over the crossbar.

Best game: 1994 AFC Wild Card game at Arrowhead. I worshipped Joe Montana my whole life, and to see him work playoff magic in the playoffs in person was a feeling I still can't really describe. The man was not human when the game was on the line.

Honorable mention: 1994 World Cup in Dallas. Spain led South Korea 2-0 and Korea scored twice in the last five minutes, forcing a tie. The Cotton Bowl was going nuts.

Game I covered: National volleyball tournament first round match last year. Team I covered was seeded low and playing the power of powers, a team that had won in the first round something like 18 straight years. Team I covered won first two games, lost next two, faced two match points before winning on a solo block against a first-team All American hitter. Well-played volleyball can be a lot of fun to watch, and that match certainly was.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

It still may need some time to settle, but I am very damn glad I went to this year's Fiesta Bowl.

10. doctor x

doctor x Member

Best game I ever covered was 2002 renewal of Florida's second-oldest prep football rivalry, Palatka-St. Augustine, which dates to 1922. St. Augustine and Palatka ranked 1-2 respectively in state (class 3A) with district championship at stake in Palatka's 50-plus year old stadium which has hedges (a la Sanford Stadium) but NOT a track, bringing crowd closer to the game. St. Augustine a 35-34 winner in overtime before overflow crowd. A rare case of the event living up to the hype.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Here are four topping my list. I was in attendance for all:
    1990 -- Loyola Marymount 149, Michigan 115. Most incredible basketball game I have ever seen as the Lions wipe out the defending national champion Wolverines in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at the Long Beach Arena. NOTE: I did not see the regular-season game earlier that season in which LSU beat LMU in OT. That was certainly a "ball burner" (thanks Jim Harrick) too.
    1974 -- USC 55, Notre Dame 24. Trojans come back from 24-0, scoring 55 points in about 17 minutes of game time.
    1982 -- Kings 6, Oilers 5 (OT). The Miracle on Manchester.
    2006 -- Texas 41, USC 38. Longhorns take the national championship away from the Trojans.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

You are one lucky man to have watched those in person.

Draft saved Draft deleted