1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BEST game you ever saw

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by txscoop, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yeah. Rodney Peete was my favorite SC quarterback until this Robo-QB came along and took us Trojans fans for a great ride. Of course, they lost in the fucking Sun Bowl.

To that end, I always thought Kyle Wachholtz could've been the greatest QB ever. But he was there during the Rob Johnson days and only got in during garbage time. Waccholtz could throw that goddamn football like no other I've ever seen.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

2003 NCAA Hockey Final -- Minnesota v. Maine in St. Paul.

Gophers take early lead, Maine battles back to tie, then take lead in the third.

Gophers score with goalie pulled and under a minute to play to force overtime, then win it on Grant Potulny's garbage-banger in OT. First Gopher from out of state in almost 20 years gets the winner as much maligned senior class hangs a banner on their way out.

I've hear louder stadia -- I was in the Dome during the 1987 playoffs, fer god's sakes -- but I've never heard anything like the Xcel Center after that puck went in the net. My seats were over by the Michigan band, most of whom stuck around after Minnesota beat them out. The Michigan kids had the smarts to learn the Minnesota Rouser and play it along with the Minn. band. They drank a lot of free beer off learning one song.

Just a great weekend of hockey, got to see it with my dad and my brother, and the home team made good.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

1991 World Series Game 7 - Didn't cover it, was just a kid. I'm a Braves fan and that is still the best baseball game I've ever seen.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

For me, a Pitt/WVU Backyard brawl...I think it was 1994 and I think there were 35 combined points in the 4th quarter.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Best games I've seen live:
    Wisconsin over Michigan two years ago at Camp Randall, my senior year at UW, the John Stocco QB draw to win it.
    Same year, I think, Wisconsin over Minnesota at the Dome, blocked punt by Jonathan Casillas with 1:30-ish left helps Wisconsin overcome Maroney's 258 yards. Was pretty drunk on Jegger, jumping up and down and hugging every Wisconsin fan in sight. Good times.
    2004, Wisconsin at Ohio State -- Dontez Sanders dancing at midfield while we sing "Varsity" at the top of our lungs going as we head down from the upper deck of the camp. Great trip, lots of great stories.

As far as games I covered, the top two both involve the same school.
    One, is Local High in a football playoff game, playing against a team that was twice as big at every position. Local High finished the game with like -10 rushing yards because their O-line was just way too small. But they had one kid at WR who's the jump-out-of-the-gym kinda guy. Put up disgusting stats (close to 200 yards receiving) and singlehandedly kept them in the game, just catching lob passes that were thrown his way. They ended up losing in heartbreaking fashion, giving up a 60-yard pass play with maybe 2:00 left in the game. But they had no business being in that game.
    The other one is the same scenario in the state basketball finals. No one outside the area gave Local High a chance to even make it to the finals.
    But going up against the consensus best team in the state, they go blow-for-blow for all the game, while Big City paper guys are sitting next to me going "I can't believe it. I can't believe it." the whole time. A lot of fun to cover. They end up missing the game-tying 3, getting a put-back and losing by 1, and the only reason they lost was because the other team's best player just made EVERYTHING he took. 3s, pull-ups, layups, anything, no matter how many hands were in his face. For high school, it was a great basketball show.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I saw Earl Monroe's first game as a Knick.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Nets-Pacers Game 5 in 2002.

USA-Italy at the Germany 2006.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

The Bluegrass Miracle, when LSU beat Kentucky on that last-second TD as UK fans stormed the field and climbed the goalposts.

Fantastic.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Francisco. Cabrera.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Best games I've been at in person:

-Yanks over Braves in the '99 WS, the extra inning game with the 2 HRs for Knoblauch & the 1 for Curtis.

- Bernard King scores 60 on Christmas eve, Nets win 120-114. Front row seats- Red Holzman was 3 rows behind me (I got an autograph, even though I had never heard of him).

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Sid. Bream. Braves. Win.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Dead. To. Me.

Draft saved Draft deleted