1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Frontman (or woman)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chi City 81, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I love Brian and the boys.

But Bon Scott was even better. He more embodied the essence of the band. Devilish little dude.

2. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Interesting point. I kind of overlooked her because Fleetwood Mac became a bit a of a three-headed act when Stevie and Lindsey Buckingham signed on. I'm not sure any of the three (Christine McVie being the third) stands out, though Stevie was quite spellbinding doing "Rhiannon" and some of her other signature stuff.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Freddie Mercury is a great call...

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I should have used the blue type. I was called out for a manhood check because I admitted drinking wine cooelrs before seeing Oingo Boingo. That's why I jokingly pointed out Queen was mentioned in the next post. It was also the reason for the Iron John reference.

Trust me. Mercury is held in very high regard in my eyes.

5. First time I saw the Mac in concert, Stevie was absolutely captivating on stage. Have seen the group perform many times live since and have never been disappointed by her onstage presence. At a concert a couple years ago in Dallas, when she sang "I'm getting older, too ..." in Landslide, she laughed a little at the line, and the crowd laughed with her. Great presence.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Speedwagon's headlining (or flatlining) tonight in my neck of the woods (Twin River Special Events Center) at $39 a pop.
    I think of that band, and I remember one May ('81?) when I was home from college, covering a baseball playoff game at my old high school for the local weekly, and two rows behind me, this kid randomly starts singing "Take it up the ass, baby." My tongue still bears the scar incurred trying to avoid hysterics.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

When I was in college I parked cars at a very upscale country club where Stevie's parents were members. White Jag V12 if you are curious. This was the early 90s, so it was not Stevie in her prime. She didn't even acknowledge us.

Coolest celebs in person were Barry Goldwater, Tom Smothers (free yo-yo show) and Leslie Neilson who offended some old ladies with a whoopee cushion.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

The "Say You Will" tour? Enjoyed the Buffalo stop so much I caught up to them in Indy a few weeks later. And yes, Miss Stephanie Nicks does know how to work a crowd.

Not sure I've seen a better showman than Freddy, though. (On tape, never in person, and I will regret that for the rest of my days.)

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've seen Stevie Nicks a total of 10 times (five times on tour as a solo act, twice at a 'Stevie Nicks and Friends' show, twice with Fleetwood Mac and once on Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' Highway Companion tour). I've been disappointed once (the D.C. area stop in '01). The rest of the time, she's been on her game.

She actually pointed at me during "Beautiful Child" at the second Verizon Center show on Fleetwood Mac's Say You Will tour. I got to touch her hand during "Edge of Seventeen" on her Gold Dust Tour stop in 2005 (on my 32nd birthday, no less).

I don't know if she exactly fits the criteria here because she is part of that three-headed monster with Fleetwood Mac, but in her prime, she's a captivating presence on stage.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

People have been ripping off Mick Jagger for years. I think this should be subtitled (besides Mick Jagger)

Don't know if Pat Benatar counts
    Maria McKee of Lone Justice

Bono is pretty good
    Jim Morrison
    Ronnie Van Zant

11. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Strictly speaking, Benetar doesn't count because she wasn't really fronting a band. The others on your list are excellent picks. Maria McKee has a way of looking into your eyes (or the camera) and making you believe you're all that matters in her life. Wish my girlfriend could be that convincing once in awhile.

12. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

In my mind, no one I saw (live or tape) could own a room (be it a small venue, large arena or massive stadium) more than Freddie Mercury. I was fortunate enough to see Queen live in concert more than ten times over a six/seven year period. Freddie had the entire crowd in the palm of his hand from first note to last encore. The ultimate showman/frontman.

Draft saved Draft deleted