1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best fringe Simpsons character?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TyWebb, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Gotta love Troy McClure -- if only for Planet of the Apes, the musical.

And naturally, I'm partial to Ralph Wiggum. In fact, I think the father-son Wiggums beat the father-son Van Houtens in a narrow grudgematch.

But how can we have gone 11 posts and not have a vote for Ned Flanders?

"I've done everything the Bible says - even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!"

"Bless the grocer for this wonderful meat, the middleman who jacked up the price, and let's not forget the humane but determined boys at the slaughterhouse."

"Well, sir, I hate to be Suspicious Aloysius on you, but did you steal my air conditioner."

"Well get out the Crayolas and color me tickled pink!"

"Well kids, looks like this year we’re gonna have an imaginary Christmas."

"We're done for! We're done-diddly-done-for! We're Done-diddly-doodly-done-diddly-doodly done-diddly-doodly..."

And, of course, he's responsible for one of my favorite Homer lines: "Stupid Flanders, you're a genius!"

[​IMG]

Additional honorable mentions to Sideshow Mel, Reverend Lovejoy, Principal Skinner and Apu.

2. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

Thanks for the vote Diabeetus.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Groundskeeper Willie (gnawing on a drumstick of some kind): Yeh, I bought yer mutt, and I 'ate im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate his guts, and I 'ate the way 'es always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
    Bart (sighs in relief): Oh, I see! You hate him, so you gave him to the church.
    Groundskeeper Willie: Aye. I also 'ate the mess 'e left on my rug. [Bart turns and looks at him.] You 'eard me!

4. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

Ralph: Teacher, my shoes are making noise
    Dance instructor: You must be Ralph
    Ralph: My daddy shoots people

5. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

my nose makes it's own bubble gum

6. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Hans Moleman.

"I was saying 'Boo-urns.' "

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Oh, crap, how could I have forgotten Mr. Burns!

8. joe

joe Active Member

With respect to the above posts, I don't think Flanders, Ralph Wiggums, Lenny and Carl, Barney, Moe, Mr. Burns, Smithers, the cops, Groundskeeper Willie, any teacher, and, in earlier years, Krusty, can properly be considered fringe. Most of the above make an appearance nearly every show, sometimes having whole shows revolve around them.
    Troy McClure, Kent Brockman, Cletus, Comic Book Guy, Wacky Professor, Fat Tony and folks like that are "fringe," as in they rarely appear, but when they do, they usually steal every scene they're in.
    Discuss.

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Greatest cold open to the show ever (and my sig):

Kent Brockman: ... which if true, means death for us all.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Are there three classifications? Like Main, side and fringe?

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Another Phil Hartman character, attorney Lionel Hutz.

Draft saved Draft deleted