1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best financial magazine?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I already get three newspapers and don't really want to add a fourth or else I'd get the WSJ. But looking to learn a little bit more about that world. What magazine would others suggest for great reporting and analysis on the markets, industry, fiscal and monetary policy, etc., etc.?

Here is what I'm not looking for: A magazine with Suze Orman and Dave Ramsey telling me how to clip coupons. So not a personal finance magazine, but something that actually covers the financial world from a journalistic, not self-help, standpoint.

Forbes?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You have to get the WSJ. You should also read IBD.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Economist is expensive but worth every dime.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Anything Mike B's outfit grinds out is editorially excellent.

WSJ remains useful, but a heavy filter is needed to screen out all the obvious political slants.

Forbes remains a fellate-the-rich joke. It's maintained that status for some years, and don't envision it ending, anytime soon.

5. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

Barron's

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Same is true for Fortune, which may be worse.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sorry to hear that. Haven't looked at Fortune for years. I find it hard to avoid being exposed to Forbes, occasionally. Am always sorry. I don't know who they think they're fooling, besides themselves.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Financial Times.

9. I'll second this. I'll take people's second-hand copies of this any time I get the chance.

10. maberger

maberger Member

third ... ipad app if you have a sub is great

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

If you have to subscribe to one only periodical I think you buy the Economist.

I think of the strictly business magazines Business Week is the best, especially since Bloomberg bought it. The do a lot of solid reporting. Fortune does "fellate the rich" but they can do excellent features.

As for Forbes I find it poorly researched. They tend to run short stories that really don't tell you much. And far to much time is spent on "Obama sucks" and "marginal taxes are to high (translated as Steve Forbes wants his taxes cut some more, damnnit)". Defensible points but they pound it every edition.

And I really miss the feature pieces the Wasll Street Journal ran on the front page. Still a wonderful paper but they now lead with news stories that other outlets also have.

Draft saved Draft deleted