1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best ensemble cast?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Taxi
    MTM
    Cheers
    Wings

2. Mizzougrad96

I think if you're going for the last 40+ years, the only debate is Taxi vs. MTM...

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A great ensemble is stocked with actors who are equally adept at carrying a scene or supporting another actor. MASH, Mary Tyler Moore, West Wing, Homicide and I've always thought The Closer/Major Crimes has one of the best top to bottom of casts of any show on TV. All of the characters are well fleshed out. It probably helps that the actors playing detectives on the show have a ton of guest starring stints on TV where you have to come in, establish a compelling character and be gone in 45 minutes.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

21 Jump Street. 4 Characters, 1 future star & doesn't Holly Robinson still have a career?

5. Mizzougrad96

Even though one show is still on the other has only been gone a couple years, we're already seeing this...

Chris Pratt is going to be the biggest star from Parks and Rec.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Are we looking for great ensemble casts, or those that have had subsequent success?

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Ian Ziering went from 90210 to Sharknado. I'd take that career arc any day of the week.

9. Mizzougrad96

I know we're not including sketch shows, like SNL, but Mr. Show would be on any of these lists...

Bob Odenkirk
    David Cross
    Tom Kenny
    Scott Adsit
    Scott Aukerman
    Jack Black
    Brian Posehn
    Mary Lynn Rajskub
    Sarah Silverman
    Paul F. Tompkins

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

After the first year, Andy went from being the focal point to being the sideman/straight man who played off everyone else. Those black and white shows were as a good as it go. Color shows? Not so much. (Same with The Beverly Hillbillies. Show got bad when it went to color.)

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Jennie Garth matured nicely, no?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That was my question as well.

The West Wing, to me, was a perfect example of a great ensemble cast. They had a mixture of established actors and relative unknowns and they worked extremely well together.

Also, do you figure in actors playing recurring roles who were not part of the regular cast? The West Wing had some very strong work in those types of roles from Oliver Platt, Mark Harmon, Marlee Matlin, John Amos, Ron Silver, Tim Matheson, Matthew Perry....(that list could go on for quite a while).

That said, I don't think you could say any of the member of the primary cast went on to bigger things once the show was over.

Draft saved Draft deleted