1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best eight years of my life

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 28, 2013.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Maybe Friedman has advice for getting a job with companies that are hoarding jobs.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Definitely true. Also his parents are worried that management/executive positions would be forever off-limits. But they also see it as, the way he knows computers and that skill, there's always going to be a place in the world for him and even plenty of ways for him to create his own place in the world. Not a bad thought. And the kind of guy who would show up as the top candidate if Friedman's pet company is around in 10 years.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Outing alert!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Meet Old Economy Steve. As a proud member of the class of 1970-something, he's got a doofy haircut straight out of "Daze and Confused," along with a sunny financial future. With commencement season drawing to a close, his awkwardly smirking face has become the canvass upon which some angry Millennials have decided to vent their frustrations with the economy, not to mention condescending Baby Boomers.

[​IMG]

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/05/old-economy-steve-the-official-meme-for-embittered-millennials/276285/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Humbled college grads turn to community colleges to boost job hopes:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/education/ct-met-fast-track-degrees-20130604,0,1203883.story

6. Paste the URL into Google to avoid the paywall.

This quote epitomizes why the business community loves government, yet curses it about everything else. Thought business was about BOOTSTRAPS! Why do businesses get a pass in relying on government, but individuals who do are lazy bums?

7. Dick Whitman

I thought that's what I did. Is it not linking for you?

8. It's hitting the paywall if I click the link from here.

9. Dick Whitman

Well, the gist is that college graduates - liberal arts and general business majors are mentioned, specifically - are going back to community colleges to get more practical degrees. One person featured in the piece, for example, is now making a middle-class wage after she learned heating and cooling repair. Apparently, if she keeps going with it, she can make six figures eventually. Lots of talk also about medical technician work like dialysis.

I thought it somewhat tied in with the Friedman column about skills training. And, also, with some discussions here about how people need to get used to the fact that the old manufacturing jobs aren't coming back.

I really think that liberal arts degrees are going to have to start pitching themselves as supplemental degrees rather than primary courses of study.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm going to a community college to take some specific courses and learn some specific skills. It's stuff that didn't exist 25 years ago, so those classes weren't really an option back when I was in university.

11. Unless it's a career program, what course can help you in a current career?

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You honestly think that an administrator for a community college speaks for "business"? Really?

Draft saved Draft deleted