1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Drummers......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Can't believe Don Henley hasn't been mentioned yet.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Karen Carpenter

(Pound-for-pound, the best)

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

White Stripes chick whose name escapes me.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

Bill Bruford

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

See, I consider that equally important as how technically great a drummer is. And Ringo, IMO, fit his role in his particular band better than anyone else, by far. He was perfect, in that sense. Same with Weinberg, who was an integral part of the ESB.

So while Peart might be technically the greatest drummer alive, he didn't fit his role very well ... because his band sucks. ;D

6. It must have been Fred. The last time I saw DRR was 1990 or '91. They were playing at Club Clearview and released the show as a live album.

I've heard of Cowboy Mouth though I don't think I've ever heard them. Are they worth checking out?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Steve Gadd - for his work on Steely Dan's Aja album and other memorable turns.

8. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

No, but they should have.

Absolutely insane live, ?uestlove

9. Mira

Mira Member

I second the nomination for Bill Berry. Wish he'd quit farming and join the band again.

10. One name that hasn't been mentioned:

Dave Garibaldi -- Tower of Power. He makes incredibly complicated grooves sound tight and simple.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Cowboy Mouth is outstanding live. Fred's a trip, man. Just wish they'd make it out west more often. But I understand why they prefer to stay near N'awlins with all the work they do there.

12. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I completely disagree. It if were all about technical proficiency, then why listen to any rock music at all? I would say that a majority of rock musicians are average at best at what they do, in terms of playing an instrument. It's about groove and feel.

As a drummer, I can appreciate Peter's contribution. Again, his drumming on ALIVE is pretty good. And even more importantly, it got me to think about giving drumming a try. I liked the way it sounded. Of course, I learned real fast that his drumming wasn't particularly hard. But it was different. Peter didn't follow the bass line as most drummers usually do. I thought that was interesting. I am in my 30s and I still find myself once in awhile as I'm driving just doing the classic fills to 100,000 Years from ALIVE on my steering wheel. Same thing with Bonzo's Moby Dick or Stewart Copeland's Wrapped Around Your Finger. It's about what grabs you.

Now I do agree with you that Peter's drumming is horseshit now. No question.

Draft saved Draft deleted