1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Drummers......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Jul 22, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Rat Scabies of The Damned.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Dale Crover [Melvins]
    Dave Lombardo [Slayer]
    Kenny Baron [lots of John Zorn projects]
    Terry Bozzio [Frank Zappa and Missing Persons]
    Chad Wackerman [Frank Zappa]
    Brad Carlson aka Bun E. Carlos Cheap Trick]
    Kjetil-Vidar Haraldstad aka Frost [Satyricon]

Dave Grohl behind a drum kit is a blast to watch!

Years ago this band called Dash Rip Rock used to come through Dallas several times a year. Their encores tended to be comprised of covers of a single band. Several times I saw them do Def Leppard encores and their drummer would hide his left arm inside his t-shirt if the song they were performing was from Hysteria or later.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How did it take that long for Bonzo to get mentioned?

Bonham is the best and it's not close. Keith Moon is probably second.

Among the actives, Peart is the best and while Ulrich may be a total douche, he's a hell of a drummer...

Underrated: Larry Mullen Jr.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

throw glenn kotche into the discussion

5. Larry Mullen Jr. is a vampire.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

best, more recent evidence: max on "land of hope and dreams." i apologize for no link, but i'm very lame.

7. Moon over Bonham.
    The latter never did anything that the former didn't do, better, first.
    Ashamed I forgot Levon, who had a purely personal style. In his autobiography, he talks about moving to Cambridge and taking classes at Berklee while The Band was on hiatus. Like a man who works his craft. And as a singing drummer, well, he is himself alone.

8. Umm...this band also had a singing drummer:

[​IMG]

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Keith Moon, Charlie Watts, and John Bonham.

Ringo was the best guy for the role he had to play, but he wasn't that great as a technical drummer. (Larry Mullen Jr. and Weinberg fit into this category as well.)

Paul McCartney was actually a better drummer than Ringo; for that matter, he was a better guitarist than George Harrison, too.

There's no doubt, however, that Ringo was worlds better than Pete Best, who from all accounts was just horrible.

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

See, I'd read in several places that Best was better than Ringo, but Paul wanted him out of the band because he got more girls than Paul. I love jealous infighting.

And I really doubt McCartney was a better drummer. He played drums on McCartney and said that's what he was worried about the most. Listen to the second half of Abbey Road, great drumming by Ringo. Very underrated drumer. Lots of bands wanted him when he was in Rory Storm and the Hurricanes.

Someone earlier mentioned Matt Comeron

11. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

How long ago was that? When I used to see Dash Rip Rock, back in the early 90s, their drummer was pretty low key. Of course, their singer and bass player were nuts. This guy named Fred LeBlanc used to play drums for Dash in the late 80s...then he formed his own group, Cowboy Mouth. He's a wild man.

Draft saved Draft deleted