1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Drummers......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Jul 22, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Although I agree with a lot of the nominations so far (Max Weinberg, Buddy Rich, Keith Moon, Ginger Baker, John Bonham)

there are a few glaring omissions (unless I read too fast) from the conversation:
    D.J. Fontana
    Levon Helm
    Dino Danelli
    Johnny "Bee" Badanjek
    Jim Keltner

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you look at the link I posted you can see Gene Krupa in action. I just wanted to see his name typed in this thread.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Krupa in his prime. Best drum groove ever. And dig those crazy vines.

Three geniuses. Roach, Blakey, Jones. The video's bad, but the audio's good.

Blakey solo.

4. Always was a big fan of Peart and Carl Palmer.

A few not yet mentioned:
    Dave Weckl:

Elvin Jones (bonus - why are they dragging a body away during the solo?):

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Keith Moon.

His drumming didn't just keep the beat, it led the melody.

Take a listen to A Quick One, Who's Next or especially Quadrophenia and focus on the drumming. Just fantastic.

6. Rambler

Rambler Member

Charlie Watts. As Keith says, "he's the engine room" of the greatest band of all time.

Tough to top that. Of course he's not flashy but as steady as you can be, IMO.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

the case for Max Weinberg..
    into

8. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

My list and I listen to a lot of music:

Neal Paert of Rush
    Rick Allen of Def Leppard
    Tommy Lee of Motley Crue/Supernova
    Stewart Copeland of the Police
    Jeff Cummings of Tea Party
    Ronnie Valucci of the Killers
    Ringo Starr of the Beatles

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Anyone mention ?uestlove yet?

10. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Finally a subject that I love to talk about for hours! As a drum head (and I tend to go toward the heavier, metal side) my personal top drummer would be Bonham and then everyone else.

Some other faves:

Buddy Rich (dude was a prodigy. I know he was a jazz drummer, but is still near the top of my list)
    Alex Van Halen
    Max Weinberg
    Stewart Copeland (recently saw him in concert with The Police and he's still going strong.)
    Peter Criss (from 1974-77 he was pretty good before drugs detoriated him. 100,000 Years off of KISS ALIVE basically got me into drumming)
    Eric Carr (KISS' Creatures of the Nights album is one of my favorites. Heavy, dark and with some incredible drum work).
    Ringo Starr (don't believe what everyone is saying here. He's a great drummer. Outstanding timekeeper. No frills. Just honest drumming. John and Paul are on record saying they wanted the best drummer around and that was Ringo).
    Keith Moon (big influence for me)
    Mitch Mitchell (was he mentioned before? If not, he belongs here too. Good stuff).
    Neil Peart (one of the best technical drummers around, but I was never too crazy about Rush)

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Criss and Carr were fantastic.

One of my faves is Danny Carey. On the skins for Tool.

12. Mmac

Mmac Guest

That is indeed awesome stuff. But why does his band have to be Rush?

Draft saved Draft deleted