1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Drummers......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Jul 22, 2007.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Yeah, but can he sing like Maulty from the Barbarians?

Individual drummer, I'd go with Keith Moon.

If we're talking about team percussion in this thread, props for early Santana (check out "Live at the Fillmore '68") and Arcade Fire (check out YouTube) - I think everyone takes a turn at pounding something in their live shows.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And I thought my History of Jazz in America class was never going to pay off.

Worth mentioning is that this is not an ad lib. This is the great song they wrote.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Very good picks. But:

I can't believe Ringo Starr hasn't at least been mentioned. Never got his due, and I know Pete Best was supposedly better. But Ringo was a damn fine drummer.

Taylor Hawkins, Grohl said Hawkins is better than he is.
    Bill Berry
    Animal
    Meg White anyone???
    Art Blakey as well.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

He has.

Matt Cameron has drummed for two fantastic bands and been completely loved by fans of both, so he should get at least a nod.

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Second on the kudos for Keith Moon and John Henry Bonham.
    Bill Ward of Black Sabbath is quite good. And John Theodore, who used to play with Mars Volta, is amazing.

6. 'oo's in second place then, mate?

[​IMG]

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

No love for this guy?

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I must concur on both points.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

WOW .. a subject close to my own heart having messed around with drums for, oh, about 45 years.
    Carl Palmer -- a gymnast behind his set
    Louie Bellson -- one of the first with two bass drums
    Buddy Rich -- he stood alone in his day
    Ringo Starr -- not technically the best, but he did what he needed to do and his beat never wavered.
    This is absolutely a true story: A friend of mine in high school, his dad owned a drum shop in L.A. He supplied equipment for Louie Bellson was close friends with him. Back then, Bellson and Rich were the most prominent big-band drummers around. One time, the guy asks Bellson who is the best drummer?
    Belson said, "Buddy Rich can do anything I can do. I can do anything Buddy Rich can do. But the best drummer in the world is Ginger Baker."

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Stewart Copeland.

11. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Just Blaze.

12. da el g

da el g Member

John Bonham Moby Dick Dick Dick

Draft saved Draft deleted