1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best debut album

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Jul 26, 2007.

1. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Irish, I recall you bashing the Dan on another thread. Your hatred runs deeper than just a disliking for a band. What gives?

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Well, they truly are one of my least favorite pop bands of all time. No, I don't have a bad mental association with them. I've never had a bad life experience with anyone who likes Steely Dan, so there's no lurking psychological issue. Just have always been mystified by why they're popular. We all have things we don't "get"...things the mass appeal of which escapes us. I don't "get" Steely Dan, NASCAR, celebrity magazines, or mayo-based potato salad. So it goes....

Anyway, back on topic.
    [​IMG]

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

I do agree with you about the Clash, however.

4. Chicago Transit Authority's (later Chicago) self-titled album. Of course, listening to it just frustrates me when considering how Peter Cetera ripped the balls off that band.

Also, The Who's "My Generation" is up there.

5. writing irish

Just about every great band had a great debut album. Very few released something lame and then later evolved into greatness. Although I guess it's common enough for a band to have a first album that shows just part of their potential...then they kick it into higher gear later. Ramones are a good example of this...the first album was damn good, but I'd say that "Leave Home" and "Rocket to Russia" are the two best Ramones albums.

Tom Waits' "Closing Time" would have been a cult classic even if the man had never recorded another note. But of course, he went on to greater things. Similar thing with the Stones...first album was damn good but deriviative...they found their own voice later.

"Great Second Albums" would be a more challenging thread, but I bet SportsJournalists.com's audiophiles could rise to the occasion.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Southside Johnny & the Jukes - I Don't Want to Go Home

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

Some, however, take an album or two to reach their peak. To reference your earlier example, would you dare say London Calling is the lesser of The Clash (self-titled) ?

8. writing irish

Have to give the slight edge to London Calling, despite the first Clash album being a sentimental favorite. After that, I'd put Give Em Enough Rope, Sandinista! and Combat Rock in a three-way tie for third. I know Sandinista! gets lots of shit because there's about a side's worth of throwaways on that one, but I think it's very good in spite of that. Of course you have to like late 70s punk-style dub reggae.

Speaking of taking three albums to reach their peak, EStreetJoe's post reminded me, of course, of Springsteen. Born to Run was number three. But damned if The Wild, the Innocent... doesn't hit the spot just as well, sometimes.

9. DisembodiedOwlHead

I doubt there's a great debate among Clash fans that the first two albums are 1-2, but I value London Calling miles ahead of The Clash due to the range displayed and the depth of feeling. My favorite album ever.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Tubthumping by Chumbawumba :D

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The Duchess -- Fergie

Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich -- Warrant

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Not the best debut album, but George Strait's second album, Strait From The Heart, is one of the all-time best for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted