1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best. Day. Ever.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Congrats.

Let her sleep on your chest, it's the best feeling in the world. (And before you know it, she'll be 2 1/2 and say "No Daddy, I don't need to rock. Night-night.")

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Congrats, Rhody. My eldest is 25 but I still remember the feeling of utter elation when he was born. And holding him.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

That post made me cry

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Won't somebody think of the children?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. joe

joe Active Member

Rhody, congratulations. Enjoy every moment because each goes by so fast. She's only an infant for the blink of an eye. Before you know it, she'll be in 6-month clothes, and then 12-month clothes, and then she's no longer your little baby — she's a toddler with her own ideas about the world.

Love her. Read to her. Be her hero. Teach her how a man treats a woman by treating Mrs. Rhody right (she'll get it long before she can articulate it). Be her shoulder to cry on. Comfort her in the night when she's sick or scared. Play with her, even when you don't want to. Be firm but not domineering. Tickle her. Burp her and change her diapers. Read to her. Read to her.

Love Mrs. Rhody, and don't let the romance die just because you're new parents; your relationship needs nurturing, too. Give Mrs. Rhody time alone, and take time alone yourself. Being on 24/7 is a recipe for ... well, not disaster, but tension in the household.

Buy John Rosemond's "New Parent Power" and take from it what works for you.

Realize that your baby is her own person, even as an infant. She'll seek and find her own water level long before you realize what it is. Embrace that. She's yours, but you don't own her.

Take pictures. Take video. Burn them to CDs and DVDs.

Be a man. Be THE man.

Love. Love. Love.

Congratulations.

6. joe

joe Active Member

And get some sleep.

Yeah, right ...

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Cool as hell, rhody. Do right by her, as I'm sure you will. Nobody will ever depend on you more.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Just got home. We live 15 minutes from the hospital. Mrs. Rhody was sleeping so I dropped the baby off with the nurses.
    It was the hardest thing I've ever done. I didn't want to leave her. While it sucks now, I feel like it will be worth it when I'm not dead-ass tired tomorrow as everyone comes to visit.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Congrats Rhody, and Mrs. Rhody. And it is absolutely true. They do grow up before you know it.

And while you'll never stop worrying about them, it's perfectly all right to take a break. It's the toughest job in the world. But it's also the most rewarding.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Congratulations. Cherish every second with her.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Congrats Rhody to you and your wife!
    You're 15 minutes from the hospital? I didn't realize you lived in Lake Tahoe. :D

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

At which point you will realize, possibly once more, that time is fleeting and she will be 10 ... then 14 ... then graduating ... before you know it.

Enjoy every moment and many congratulations.

Draft saved Draft deleted