1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best damn thing Bush has done in a while....now give him his due

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Jul 14, 2008.

1. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Why don't the politicians understand that we need to quit depending on oil? Is it because war is a money maker?

Someone please make strong efforts to find renewable energy to replace said oil.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Maybe the answer is that we need to get government out of the energy business all together.

Nah, then those big oil greedy capitalists, you know, the ones who make a fraction of the profits off oil that the federal government does, will run amok and pillage the polar bears playgrounds....

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Well, voters in South Dakota sure want a refinery. Where was it, Sioux Falls that voted yes?

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Dear Christ, that's the last thing we need. Bush is an idiot. Darth is malevolent.

5. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

It definitely shouldn't be up to the government to find a new, widely usable energy source and develop it. It should be up to producers of new sources of energy to make it available on a wide scale, and it should be up to the people to demand new sources of energy through usage.

But to your sarcastic point, Zag...why the seemingly flip attitude to the environment. I never really got that. I was talking to a friend recently who was in favor of drilling all over the place, and he said, I don't care about caribou, I care about people. Now, what the fuck is that? Environmentalism has seemingly jumped the shark...it's all a big, cliched joke. Polar bears drowning, ha ha. It's the natural world version of bloggers in mommy's basement. Those who joke about dwindling species and natural spaces? I hope a giant goddamn asteroid flies out of space and shows them how important humanity is.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I appreciate the post. It's obvious what's going on here. Oil companies are looking for a quick land-grab before the Dems control the White House and Congress, thus shutting their window of opportunity to more corporate welfare for another decade.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And you must have overlooked my response to pallister on the first page on this thread, when he basically said the same thing. My response then is what it is now:

"You missed my point. Manipulating a situation for political gain, regardless of the consequences, should not be tolerated.

"For the record, I don't believe Congress (Republicans) dropped gas prices for political gain two years ago. Just like I don't believe Congress (Democrats) are raising them for political gain now."

8. I realize that, dumbass. If you want to address my point, go ahead. If you want to spew insults, go fuck yourself.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I realize you're in sarcasm mode there, but I wondered about this recently. What would actually happen if every car could go no faster than 55 mph? wouldn't our highways be one giant traffic jam?

Or maybe I'm just tired and not thinking clearly.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That's one thing Fredo learned from Daddy.

Make sure your VP is an even bigger threat to world peace and harmony than even you are.

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Thanks for that post, Thumper. That's good stuff.

Unfortunately, your explaination is part of the problem, in that, it takes a few minutes to think, reason and come to the conclusion that drilling really isn't the answer to our problems.

To highlight something you said, the response in the media has been infuriating. They didn't spend more than a few seconds, or grafs, looking at the process involved in getting the oil. Most of them mentioned enviromental concerns, which, to me, isn't the biggest problem with this idea.

Oh well.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yep . . . carrying the oil industry's water . . . the raison d'etre for this administration's
    entire hierarchy, since they said "Go" . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted