1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Current Sports Sections

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator_Hawks, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Chicago Tribune is being mentioned on this thread?

Wow...

2. Gator_Hawks

Gator_Hawks Member

Wash. Post, Dallas Morning News and always like Philly Daily News

3. Mizzougrad96

Isn't the Strib rumored to be about to fold? It would be stunning and tragic if the Pioneer Press wins that war, although it would have nothing to do with quality.

Their Vikings coverage has remained outstanding since Seifert left and that's saying a lot. Zulgad was ahead of the pack on most of the Favre stories this summer.

Their college coverage has not been the same since Shelman left. How they allowed that to happen is beyond me.

4. wordguru

wordguru New Member

Here's one nobody thinks of but APSE keeps noticing: Buffalo News. Much underrated on Bills, Sabres, colleges, high schools. Great special sections. Great MLB coverage for a non-MLB city. Might have the best hockey coverage of any US paper.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

http://www.startribune.com/business/61611592.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUX

6. Mizzougrad96

Good news...

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Maybe the better question is: Is there another section in the country that you can honestly say is better than the Washington Post? I don't think so. People who think the Denver Post is within two touchdowns of the Post are kidding themselves. There might be sections with better columnists, but there are not sections with better writers, reporters and columnists.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

On the smaller scale, the Valley News in N.H.

Sometimes I think they extend their umbrella a bit too much, but they involve everyone on the local level, and cover every single sport and endeavor. They were the rival for several years, but I always appreciated their daily product.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Chicago Trib's plans for the future:

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=45&aid=172250

10. Mizzougrad96

I would have a hard time arguing with that. The NYT and the LAT just keep taking hit after hit after hit, but the WP has remained pretty strong.

I would argue that the Washington Post is the best paper in the country.

I think the better question would be what sports section that doesn't have a national circulation is the best.

I would have said KC before the last round of cuts. I don't think they're there anymore.

St. Pete has remained remarkably strong over the last couple years.

11. Mizzougrad96

For the better part of a decade the Chicago Tribune has been the most underachieving big paper in the country. That was before they gutted their college coverage.

I would love to see the Tribune get back to being the paper it once was, but I'll believe it when it happens.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

No love for Orlando?
    While I was there for vacation, I was impressed with what I saw.
    I kept thinking, while I was reading, was if this is the reduced, cutback version, what Orlando was before the cuts must have been some kind of awesome.

But I'd still vote for the Washington Post as the best sports section.

Draft saved Draft deleted