1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best cover ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by terrier, Jun 24, 2008.

1. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

"Got To Get You Into My Life" Earth Wind & Fire (Beatles)

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Afternoon Delight - Ron Burgundy and the Channel 4 News team

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"Maybe I'm Amazed" - The Faces (McCartney, whose original sucked in comparison)
    "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding" - Elvis Costello (Nick Lowe)
    "Ghosts" - Ted Leo (The Jam)

4. Anything done by the Rolling Stones that was re-done by Guns N Roses!

Also GNRs' Live and Let Die, Knockin' on Heaven's Door and Mama Kin

Ah who am I kidding; any cover by GNR simply kicked ass!

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Regarding Ted Leo, his Six Months in a Leaky Boat and Suspect Device are terrific as well.

And R.E.mM.'s VU covers on Dead letter OffiCe are really good. I"m listening to my 175-song cover song playlist on my Tunes and that may be my favorite playlist. Dinosaur Jr,'s cover of Just Like Heaven just came on.

The Butthole Surfer's cover of American Woman leaves a little to be desired however.

6. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Glad someone mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughan's version of Little Wing. That's a good one. But there's another, much more obscure Hendrix cover that was the first one I thought of. I'm wondering if anyone else had heard this one.

I have a CD that I got from one of those CD clubs (buy one and get two for free) that has a bunch of Hendrix songs recorded live by Paul Rogers (the singer from Bad Company) and Neal Schon (the guitar player from Journey). I don't remember them doing this, but I guess they put together a band and toured for a while in the 1990s and one of the songs they did was Stone Free. Toward the end of it, they drift out of Stone Free and play a verse from I Feel Free by Cream, and then right at the end, Schon plays the guitar solo from the end of Black Magic Woman -- which, of course, is an homage to Carlos Santana, who Schon played with before leaving with Greg Rolie to start Journey. Very cool. Rogers has a great voice and Schon's playing is especially good here.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I don't know if we should count blues covers, since blues players are judged, at least in part, on how well they treat those who come before them. Same thing with jazz; you could put together an entire album of people singing and playing "I Get a Kick Out of You."

That said, Jimi Hendrix' "Blues" album, IMO, is his best. LOVED listening to him get his guitar around "Born Under a Bad Sign" and "Mannish Boy." Stevie Ray did right by "Voodoo Child" while Kenny Wayne Shepherd does it right a lot of the time, too. Clapton's "Crossroads" is good work. The Rolling Stones were a blues band at heart.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

This drives me absolutely fucking insane.

Carlos Santana did NOT do the original "Black Magic Woman." Fleetwood Mac did the song originally during its blues era. Carlos just did an incredible cover of it that has become far more famous than the original Fleetwood Mac rendition.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd buy that album.

Speaking of blues, Keb Mo's cover of "Come On In My Kitchen" is top notch.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ha! Methinks you're letting your own feelings get in the way of appreciating that song. ;)

Pumpkins' version of "Landslide" was pretty good -- I can listen to it anytime. Even better, in fact, was the Dixie Chicks' version. Great, great song.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

No, Smashing Pumpkins was awful.

The Dixie Chicks version was OK.

I'm not much of a fan of "Landslide" to begin with. I prefer Stevie's hard rockers such as "Fall From Grace" or "Long Way To Go."

The one cover of a Stevie Nicks-written tune I actually like is Hole's version of "Gold Dust Woman."

12. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Or Steve Miller's solo acoustic version.

Listening right now to Jamie Cullum re-work Pharell Williams' "Frontin'."

Draft saved Draft deleted