1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best contest dunk ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jun 27, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ahem. That's a roundoff.

(Hey, my best friend in HS was a cheerleader and she used to yell at me for saying that.) :D

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Crazy as it is to say, I think the best dunk contests I've ever seen were at the McDonald's Game, rather than the NBA all-star game.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Candace Parker agrees.
    I've rarely been more infuriated watching a sporting event -- or quasi-sporting event, in this case -- than when she won the high school dunk contest. You had guys doing 360 dunks, between the legs dunks, two-ball dunks, etc., and she comes up and does a glorified layup.
    And wins.
    Because she's a girl and she dunked.
    Fuck. That.
    If a man did that dunk he'd rightfully be booed out of the gym. She gets a standing ovation and a "You go girl!" It was utterly ridiculous, worse than when Nate Robinson won the NBA contest with a mediocre dunk on his seventh attempt, just because he's 5-6 and can dunk. If Vegas takes action on these things, any time you see either a short guy or a woman in a dunk contest, bet the house on them. Ain't no way in hell they're losing. Those contests are fixed more than a '97 Dodge Caravan in a trailer park.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I see very little evidence on these videos of anyone playing the game the right way. I fear for the future of the game.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

David Lee beating James White was pretty absurd, too. James White should never lose a dunk contest, ever.

6. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

His dunk would have been improved if he went to college for four years first.

Draft saved Draft deleted