1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best concert you never saw

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Piotr, yes it was 1988 (I corrected it above). Metallica was the third band on stage. Kingdom Come opened, Dokken followed and then Metallica. Scorpions, having to follow Metallica, was solid (they played The Zoo which rocked) and then Van Hagar finished the show as the headliner with Hagar, despite a sore throat, doing OK.

Metallica did cause the crowd to go apes*** as I distinctly remember seeing guys trying to get to the floor of the Coliseum who were bouncing off tables held up by security guards to prevent them from making it to the floor and over a fence surrounding the area. Crazy show, but glad I saw them when I did.

2. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

No one will beat this sad story ...

Senior year of HS and me and my best bud stand in line at 6 a.m. (yes, back in the day you had to do that) to get tickets to Monsters of Rock -- the groundbreaking metal concert tour that was the precursor to all of the palooza all- events. Card, if I remember right, included Dokken, Kingdom Come, Van Halen, Scorpions and Metallica.
    2 weeks before show, his 21-year-old girlfriend scores 2 backstage passes and front row tix from a radio station and trades them to us for our regular floor seats since we were going anyway and sells the floor seats.
    Well, me being a dumbass, the weekend before concert, I stay out at a party til like 4 a.m. and hook up with a fat, older, skank and my folks go apeshit and ground me from the concert.
    Well, my bud takes my ticket and takes his fat 21-year-old ho. Couple days pass and I roll over to his house to see how it went.
    He doesnt say a word and just pulls out an 8x10 of him backstage with Metallica, Lars and James in full long-hair fashion from the early days, and they all are holding up beers toasting the camera. He was 16 and he was backstage sippin brews with Metallica.

I still hate my parents to this day for making me miss that concert.

3. ralph wiggum

ralph wiggum Member

PCLoadLetter, it's funny you mention Pearl Jam opening for the Chili Peppers, because I saw the opposite a few years back when PJ was doing a couple of benefit shows in Seattle

I've got a couple, though not too many. I've made a point of going to a lot of concerts since I was in HS. One I wish I had was Soundgarden, just before they announced they were calling it quits. My best friend tried to talk me into it, but I had something else I wanted to do (though I can't remember now what it was I blew it off for). Friend still gives me shit for it to this day.

Another I wish I had seen was John Lee Hooker. My dad and I had tickets to a show on the tour that was cut short by his death.

Finally, I saw a few of you mention the Stones, which made me happy I finally got around to seeing them. Sure they're past their primes, but it was still a fun show. I actually blew off a chance to see them when I was in HS because it was my parents and an uncle with an extra ticket, and at the time I thought, "No way I'm going to see a bunch of old guys with my parents." Luckily, I got smart about 10 years later and got tickets for me and my parents when they came to town last year.

4. Rambler

Rambler Member

Mine are Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker.

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Well since they broke before before I was born, The Beatles.

Let's see: The Clash, The Who, Nirvana, Butthole Surfers, Otis Redding, The Kinks, Sex Pistols, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Replacements.

I've seen quite a few shows, but I wish I'd seen these guys. Oh well.

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I was actually at an Uncle Tupelo concert in Charleston, S.C., and didn't get to see them play. Opening act finished at something like 11:30. By 12:30, Uncle Tupelo still hadn't started. I was in the Navy and was Officer of the Deck for conning the sub out of port early in the morning. Being too good for my own good, I took my concert T-shirt and headed home for a few hours sleep.

I've regretted not seeing that concert ever since.

7. Did you remember where you parked the sub?

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Dude, Where My Sub?

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Saw Rolling Stones this year in Frankfurt and it was groovy.
    Saw Dylan and Simon and Clapton and lots more.
    Saw that aforementioned The Who farewell tour in Birmingham, Ala., as a college frosh in 1983.
    Got a "D" on a speech I had to make in speech class the next day. (Had driven thru the nite to get back)
    Some kind of coercive speech was the assignment, I believe.

Anyway, wish I could have seen Zep or Plant and Page or any of that.
    Talking Heads would have been cool, though I saw Tom-Tom Club in Dallas at Fair Park around 1991.
    The Smiths or The Cure might have been cool. I missed out on Stevie Ray V.
    Still gotta see B.B.King eventually

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

B.B. King is not the performer he used to be, which is understandable at his age.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

He's from my home state and I should have done it long ago.
    A cultural icon.
    I felt the same way about Dylan when I finally saw him in 2001 or so.
    He wasn't audibly accurate that night, but it was worthwhile for me to see him.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Dylan has always been a hit-or-miss live performer, and his performances of the past several years have been interesting and good (at least the three times I've seen him).
    I love B.B. He was a great performer in his prime, but I wouldn't recommend him anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted