1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best concert you never saw

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 29, 2008.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

I wish I'd seen Metallica about 15 years ago.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's lame.
    I also never saw Janis Joplin singing with Moe Howard, Larry Fine and Curly Howard.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Indeed.

Zeppelin didn't tour in 1976.

For me . . .I kept putting off Rush because my experience with other bands of their age - Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath - was that they would play 75-80 minutes then be finished. Was ecstatic to find last year in person that Rush actually gives a crap about putting on a great show.

A band I missed was when I had tickets for Alice In Chains opening for Metallica in 1994. Both bands at the height of their powers, and Layne Staley had to miss the tour due to rehab. AIC was never the same after that, and I never did see them.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Hendrix (especially the Fillmore East New Year's Eve shows 1969 into 1970)
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Ronnie Van Zandt era Skynyrd
    Stones in 1972 and 1975
    More Zevon (I saw him twice and regret not seeing him more.)
    Ramones in their natural habitat - CBGB

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Two concerts immediately come to mind ...

1. Pearl Jam, Day on the Hill, University of Kansas campus, 1992. Free concert, gorgeous spring Saturday afternoon, "Even Flow" was the single of the moment as they broke out months before their Lollapalooza run (where I did see them, when the tour hit St. Louis). All because I didn't go along with co-workers who called in sick. They saw a good show; we worked short-handed.

2. Nirvana, Memorial Hall in KCK, Oct. 21, 1993. I didn't have enough money to hit two concerts in two weeks, so I had to make a decision -- Cypress Hill/House of Pain or Nirvana/Jawbreaker -- and went with Cypress Hill/House of Pain. Had I gone to Nirvana, the Cypress Hill concert probably doesn't make this post because I saw Cypress Hill five or six times through the years. I never did see Nirvana, though I had planned on it when they headlined Lollapalooza. The suicide changed that so Sonic Youth headlined that tour ... great.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Two other concerts I wish I could have seen:

- The Band's Last Waltz show
    - Live Aid

7. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Springsteen at Adelbert Gym and/or John Carroll University in '74 (I think). I was minutes away from both and I missed 'em. Never saw the Stones, either.

But I was able to catch the Lowell George Feat, Van Morrison (opener: Rockpile), J. Geils (thankfully sans It's a Beautiful Day), Allmans post-Duane. The best was Little Feat.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I never saw Barbara Streisand perform with Buddy Guy and a dead badger.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

1988 Monsters of Rock at the L.A. Coliseum. Check.

For me, it would be Led Zep (with Jason Bonham it would be good, but still not THE Led Zep) and Alice In Chains.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

You should have gone. I was so close I could smell the badger.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I had to work that night.
    The worst part is the next day the dead badger was lost in the helicopter crash that killed Stevie Ray Vaughn.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Tired?

TIRED?

If I may be so bold . . . Dude should have volunteered to nap in the car on the way.

My wife, like many women, cannot stand Rush.

HATES. THEM.

But she went with me on back-to-back nights last summer, a personal sacrifice I will not forget.

Hey Claws: was that the 1988 show at the Coliseum where the venue was like a big bathtub, and when Metallica came on, the stage was the drain? I've heard legends about the WHHHOOSSHH!!! as the crowd just gravitated toward the stage as soon as they started playing.

Draft saved Draft deleted