1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best concert you never saw

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 29, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Nirvana, obviously, and Hole. I always wanted to see Courtney get pissed and throw shit at her fans.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Had tickets for the Zeppelin show at the Olympic Stadium in Montreal on the tour that was cancelled due to Bonham's death. Four of us were going and we had no idea how we'd get there or back (we were 15, 16 at the time) but fuck, it was Zep.

Also scored tickets for The Who's first farewell show at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1982, but the guy who ordered them used a credit card number that couldn't be authorized so they cancelled the order.

Others I would have loved to see:

The Clash
    Buddy Rich
    Talking Heads
    Hendrix

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Split Enz. I've seen Crowded House, Neil Finn and Tim Finn, but never saw the original. They keep reuniting but only in New Zealand and Australia.

The Smiths. I've seen Morrissey, I've seen Johnny Marr, and I've even seen both of them do "There Is A Light" within a few months of each other, but I never saw them together.

The all time kick-myself-in-the-ass show -- The Red Hot Chili Peppers played in a nearby armory when I was in college. I had been a fan since they started, and had seen them play in a club when their first album came out. This time they were touring behind "Blood Sugar Sex Magik," and I thought the album kind of sucked. They also had two opening acts I had never heard of. So, I put off buying tickets. I finally decided I wanted to go, but by then it was sold out.

Those two opening acts? Nirvana and Pearl Jam. By the time of the concert Nirvana was number 1 and Pearl Jam was just starting to break. Damn. Never did get to see Nirvana, though I eventually saw Pearl Jam.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Had the opportunity to see the Stones, Bobby Womac and the Blackbirds in the summer of 1975 at a big stadium show on a Monday or Tuesday. Heard it was a great show.

But it would have meant a whole day off of work ($25 or so), and about $50 for the tickets/beer, etc., and at that time I could not afford to give up about $75 in income/expenses, as that covered a month's rent at school.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Garth Brooks, circa 1999.

Oh, and my parents saw Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers in Myrtle Beach in the early 1980s; would have enjoyed that concert.

6. I think I agreed with every post until this one. ;)

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

How about if I add Elvis?

:)

8. 1) Hendrix.
    2) Hendrix.
    3) Hendrix.
    4) Hendrix.
    5) original Allmans.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

He's going to be in Austin March 11 (SXSW, I guess), if that helps.

But he is a hit-or-miss proposition live.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

There's one I'd add to mine too. Also Little Feat (with Lowell George), ZZ Top (around the Deguello days) and the J. Geils Band (Full House era).

11. Huggy --
    I saw the Feat very early on -- Sailin' Shoes era -- when they were strill playing weird-ass stuff like "Strawberry Flats, and Geils Band was everywhere when I was growing up. (I even saw the ur-Geils band The Hallucinations in my hometown, and used to listen to Peter Wolf on the FM radio spinning platters.) My freshman year in college, they came to Milwaukee as the opening act for It's A Beautiful Day ("White birrrrrrrrrrd...") in one of the great mismatches of all time. Geils band burned through the opening set. IABD came out and got booed back into the wings. Geils came back and played harder. IABD came out, went to "White Bird" as their opening number, got booed away again, and Wolf came out and said, "We love you but we don't know any more music. We'll come back in the spring and play our own show." Then they played "Lookin' For A Love" again. IABD played about 20 minutes and disappeared, never to return.
    Geils came back in March and played for three hours.
    Great googly-moogly!

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I saw Buddy Rich and The Talking Heads, though not together. Both were great.

And I saw saw Zeppelin at MSG, '76, don't remember it too much.

Draft saved Draft deleted