1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best "company made it up to me" annecdotes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DemoChristian, Apr 17, 2008.

1. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I was with my then-girlfriend and a couple of other people at a place called Toot's in Murfreesboro, TN. Depending on your point of view, it's either a Hooter's knockoff or vice-versa. In either event, it was much better than Hooter's.

We order 40 wings, curly fries and a couple of pitchers of beer. Our waitress brings out water for everyone.

We get lost in conversation for like 45 minutes, but we sit. And sit. And sit. Long enough for us to begin to wonder where the waitress went and where the hell our food is. We talk to the manager about it. He's on the case, but he can't find our waitress.

Several minutes later, my ex-gf excuses herself to go to the restroom. As she's standing, she points to the window and says, "Oh my God-look!" Outside, our waitress stumbles out of a pickup truck that had two guys sitting in it.

She comes back inside looking a little worse for the wear. Disheveled, red-eyed. She argues with the manager. Just as our wings come, she gets the hob-nailed boot. And we get our meal for free.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That sounds really dry and sandy.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Dessert. Sorry! I know, I know. Full of Fail.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Yeah, full of mike's member.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Trust me. It couldn't fill an ant.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Went to Applebee's for the last-night meal of my recent Charlotte business trip. While we're waiting for our food, we hear what sounded like yelling coming from the other side of the restaurant. A few seconds later, it's confirmed, thanks to a plethora of f-bombs coming from near the kitchen.

The best part, at the time, was a very stern and commanding voice saying "God damn it! You NEED to get out of this kitchen NOW!"

Ten seconds and a couple more f-bombs later, we see a woman carrying a 10-month old child in her arms being very firmly guided toward the door, and she's yelling and cursing the entire way.

"You better stay away from him bitch! You better stay away from my f-ing brother!" she's yelling. Then she screams, "Yeah bitch! You BETT-AH call the cops!"

Meanwhile, the female manager is moving her forward with a pair of hands to the back and trying to call the woman down. The wonderful mom turns around suddenly and says right in the manager's face, "Fuck you!"

The manager gave everyone a surprise when she responded, "Fuck you, too, but you're STILL going to have to leave."

The woman was apparently mad at someone else in the kitchen who screwed over her brother. Not her, but her brother.

Less than a minute after she leaves, a guy called "Reverend Steve" (or some other first name) announces he's kicking off karaoke night. In the middle of an Applebee's.

The rather bemused expressions on our faces caught the attention of our server, and our drinks (one glass of wine, two L.I. iced teas) and dessert were both on the house.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Got to admit, I thought this was a sarcastic thread for stories about editors.

8. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Same

9. Re: Best "company made it up to me" anecdotes

Ryan's Family Steakhouse used to be headquartered in upstate South Carolina. One night, when I was a kid, we stopped by one on the way home from Greenville. It was a pretty typical Golden Corral-type experience. I don't remember what the problem was, but something was wrong with my dad's food. He said something about it to my mom, apparently loud enough for the folks at the next table to hear. Turns out that one of those folks was the CEO. He came over, apologized and paid for all of our meals and drinks.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I did at first, but when you think about it, such a thing has never happened before, so there would be no need for a thread like that.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Air conditioner on car wasn't working. Toyota mechanic could not find problem.

My trusty Goodyear place fixed it . . . some loose wires that needed to be reconnected . . . charged me $0.

I write letter to Toyota, telling them why they had lost my business.

They respond with an offer for a free 30,000-mile service ($399 value).

12. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Ordered a big steak, wings, sides and salad, along with the "loaf" at an Outback while out on a date. I get this massive steak that is over an inch thick. I ordered medium well, but it was pretty rare, but I understood because it was so thick. I asked the waitress to take it back and butterfly it and see if they can it a little more done. SHe apologizes, takes it back, brings back the steak right and gives me my whole meal for free.

I insisted that I pay, but they refused. So I went to Outback on date, ate myself silly and spent 10 total dollars.

Draft saved Draft deleted