1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best "company made it up to me" annecdotes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DemoChristian, Apr 17, 2008.

1. For example...
    My wife and I went out to eat at Applebees with my brother, his then-girlfriend and three of her four kids (yes, it's as bad as it sounds).
    We were seated for 20 minutes before anyone came to our table, so I went to the hostess and got them to send over our server.
    Eventually we got our food, but everyone had at least one thing messed up. I asked for no tomatoes on my burger and got them. My wife asked for some side instead of fries and got fries. It went like that around the table to all seven of us.
    Our server never came back to check on us, so I again went to the hostess.
    It turned out our server had been in the back doing her check-out work and didn't tell another server they were supposed to be keeping up with us. They finally fixed all our stuff and sent the manager over.
    He made sure everything was corrected and said dessert was on the house. While we finished, they remade the entire order -- correctly this time -- and gave it all to us to go.
    And they didn't charge us a cent.
    We all went from thinking we wouldn't be back to Applebee's for quite a while to pretty thrilled when we got a total of two meals plus dessert each for free.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't know if this is the best, but it's the freshest in my mind.

A couple days after Christmas, I was making some stops to see friends in central Pennsylvania, and I decide to meet my friend Erica at a hotel bar for dinner with her boyfriend and a couple co-workers. We're sitting at the bar, waiting for everyone to show up, and we get a couple beers. Once her boyfriend shows up, we order our food. He, a big, big dude, orders three dozen wings for "us to share." I'm not sure he really meant that, completely. I got some nachos and a grilled cheese sandwich. I got the nachos because that's my regular, and I got the grilled cheese sandwich because I'd never had that with a beer before. I was 24, and I was going to live life on the edge, gosh darn it.

The wings and the nachos come out, and, boy, did we all have fun. Bite after bite, we all got a little bit larger. And we get another couple rounds of beers and lose ourselves in discussion. About an hour passed and we realize I still haven't gotten my grilled cheese sandwich. I asked the bartender, and she apologized and said, "I'll see what's going on." I needed to remind her to check things out 10 minutes later. And, after she finally did, she came back and told me, "I'm sorry. They forgot to cook it. Do you still want it?" I looked at Erica and Will, her boyfriend, and said, "Yeah, I guess. I'm still hungry, and I've got a couple hours to drive." And she goes back to tending.

Another 10 minutes pass, and the bartender comes back from the kitchen and tells me, "You'll never believe this, but they dropped your sandwich on the floor. Do you still want it?" I said, "I guess so." At this point, the waitress was so embarrassed, she gave me the sandwich for free and loaded me with a free draft. I was delighted.

Then the sandwich came out, minutes before Erica and Will had to leave, and it was sub-par, at best. I ended up waiting more than two hours for a bready grilled cheese sandwich. But I ended up only paying $3 for four beers, a sandwich and wings.

3. Lines like this are the reason I really want to hang out with you in real life.
    If nothing else, I'll bet you are always worth a laugh -- often at your own expense.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I assure you, I'm no barrel of monkeys. But I'll do my best to entertain you.

5. Well I'm sure as hell not sitting down and watching your Full House boxset.

6. You made a wide decision

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

They're full screen, not wide screen, Friend.

8. you're full of fail.

I'm full of member.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I know you are, but what am I?

10. damnit

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As a teen, I went to a restaurant with my parents (we were on vacation). I ordered a hamburger. We got a new ketchup bottle and after opening it, I tried to pour some ketchup out. After some struggle, a whole bunch splattered on my pants.

Restaurant manager comes over, gives me a bunch of towels to clean up, and gives myself and my parents the entire meal, including desert, on the house.

Draft saved Draft deleted