1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Commencement Speech, Ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, May 20, 2014.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Maybe it's cliché, but few have ever been as meaningful to me as David Foster Wallace's speech.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DKYJVV7HuZw

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

4. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Dwight Eisenhower Penn St 1955. This was certainly a prescient comment:

"Of course, you men and women venture forth into a world where human nature differs little, if at all, from human nature in 1915 or in the Age of Pericles…But the age of nuclear energy, in its industrial and economic aspects, will likely bear no more resemblance to the age of steam than a jet-powered plane to an old-fashioned box kite."

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

John Waters, R.I. School of Design, 2015:

John Waters to Grads: Participate in the Creative World

"Uh, don’t hate all rich people. They’re not all awful. Believe me, I know some evil poor people, too. We need some rich people: Who else is going to back our movies or buy our art? I’m rich! I don’t mean money-wise. I mean that I have figured out how to never be around a——-s at any time in my personal and professional life. That’s rich. And not being around a——s should be the goal of every graduate here today."

Vombatus and YankeeFan like this.
  7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I'm sure that message has more resonance to Stanford grads with wide options, but for most people that's pie in the sky bad advice more likely to lead to poverty and despair than bliss. Oh if only we could all do only what we love.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"I don't know what kind of doctor I am. But watching all these beautiful sisters here . . . I'm debating whether I should be a gynecologist."

--Mike Tyson, honorary doctorate, Central State, 1989

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I like this one:

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

YF just heard a bell, a thunderclap, a howling dog and a foghorn all at the same time.

Draft saved Draft deleted