1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Columnist Ever...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jgmacg, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

If the category is ... Best. Columnist. Ever. ... the winner is Mike Royko. Not. Even. Close.

A close second? My personal library also includes plenty of Lewis Grizzard. Where's the love for the late, great Grizzard? Like Royko, his best stuff could make me laugh out loud one day and be incredibly moving the next.

Grizzard died in 1994, I think. Royko passed in 1997. Two huge losses. I've yet to find anyone else who approaches their level of greatness with any consistency.

And no, it's not about being a snob, because some of the best Royko and Grizzard columns had to do with sports. If I remember correctly, Grizzard spent time as the sports editor at one of the Chicago dailies.

If the category is best sports columnist, you can't miss with Jim Murray.

2. Jim. Murray. Is. The. Best. Columnist. Ever.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I loved Murray, and he was a great guy.

In terms of personal preferences for style, I was more of a Red Smith guy.

Both, of course, were terrific.

4. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

frank rich.

brilliant melding of politics and pop culture.

cuts through the b.s. and government spin.

connects the dots.

my reaction after reading his sunday column is, "oh, now i understand."

5. jaredk

jaredk Member

The anthology, "The Great Reporters," is edited and with an introduction by the veteran Brit journalist David Randall. Chapter 10 is entitled "The best writer ever to apply words to newsprint." It's about the London sports columnist Hugh McIlvanney. Argue at your peril, because I've read enough McIlvanney to know he's the rarest of writers, a stylist with substance, and Randall makes his case well.

McIlvanney certainly belongs in this conversation, if for no other reason than his lede on Ali-Foreman: "We should have known that Muhammad Ali would not settle for any ordinary old resurrection. His had to have an additional flourish. So, having rolled away the rock, he hit George Foreman on the head with it."

Ben Hecht belongs, too (the original, no offense to our Ben)....

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Rich writes preacher style (the way Sharpton talks). It's very impressive sounding, you walk away wowed the first few times, but you eventually realize that the substance doesn't match the glitz.

Oh, and sorry, but you still don't understand.

7. paris trout

paris trout Member

If you aren't familiar with the singular newspaper work of Pete Dexter, there's hope. A collection of his columns, titled "Paper Trails," has just been published.

8. jaredk

jaredk Member

There are also his novels, "Paper Boy" and "Paris Trout."

9. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

bizarre.

i'm trying to think of a comparable non sequiter, but i don't think one exists.

10. Sly

Sly Active Member

Anyone have access to the Dave Barry column about his mom's death? (Not coming up on Google) I'd like to see how he approached that ...

11. Sly

Sly Active Member

And I'll second the opinion that Bob Greene's early stuff was pretty damn good ... Can you imagine that both him and Royko were both writing in the same city at the same time?

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

http://www.davebarry.com/gg/lostinamerica.html

Draft saved Draft deleted