1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Color Analysts Ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Feb 19, 2021.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Mine are:

John Madden- Imparted more information than any other color guy (he seemed to be able to get more from coaches than others) while being entertaining. Only he would teach you things like that if the line judge throws his flag on a sweep it will be holding on the tight end.

Dick Button- Elegantly and knowledgably described figure skating.

Billy Welu- He had an infectious personality and I enjoyed watching bowling when he did it.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Joe Gargiola. Always across as one of your grandfather’s buddies talking ball with you.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Kinda funny now with 45-50 years hindsight, it was a fairly common take in the Seventies while the Raiders were constantly coming close but not winning the Super Bowl that Madden was basically a players' buddy figurehead and Al Davis was the real football genius.
    I do know Madden wasn't considered much of a tactical football wizard during his coaching career.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Billy Packer and Al McGuire are in the conversation, both together and separately.

Bud Collins

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I just thought of Madden as this overweight, ranting coach of a team I hated, so I hated him by association.

Then he became this ranting pitchman who broke through walls and paper in commercials, and I loved him.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Baseball---McCarver
    Basketball---Hubie Brown
    Football---Madden
    Golf---Faldo (If anyone says Miller, I will hunt you down.)
    Tennis---McEnroe
    Hockey---Olczyk

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Madden with Summerall was greatness.

MileHigh likes this.
  9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Gil Clancy was great as the analyst on CBS's weekend fights working with Tim Ryan.

10. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Tim McCarver was awful.

And Hubie Brown was the best at one point. Definitely lost his curveball.

JC likes this.
  11. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Golf I would go with Kenny Venturi.

I’m not sure hockey has had a clear cut top colour guy, or even a few of them in a tier. Ferraro is likely the best right now.

12. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Summerall let the game breathe. I watched an old Cowboys 49ers Championship recently and he was content with a simple call like “Aikman - dumps it to Smith - touchdown, Dallas”. Great cadence and voice, and he was happy to give Madden the platform.

MileHigh and heyabbott like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted